close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

eCart checkout - adding a textarea filed

Thread began 9/10/2013 4:54 pm by mrsam5266 | Last modified 9/12/2013 8:33 am by Jason Byrnes | 1965 views | 5 replies |

mrsam5266

eCart checkout - adding a textarea filed

I am trying to add a text area field to the checkout page for eCart. I found this tutorial:

http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Add-a-form-field-to-your-existing-web-form

and I've followed the instructions (with the only difference being the type of form element and the name). Got the form field in place. Setup up the Binding and put the hidden field in the pp_confirm.php file to set the Session variable. Problem is, I still don't get a value when I display the Session variables after submitting the page.

What I want is to have a field where a customer can enter instructions about their order and have this print as part of the email receipt that goes to the customer and to the business.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I would need to see the code.

mrsam5266

Here are copies of the files for this - checkout.php and pp_confirm.php.

Attached Files
AQ3.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I think you misunderstand how the Payments pro process works.

On the checkout page, there are 2 options the user can chose for payment:

1) Direct payment - this is when they fill in the checkout form on the checkout page

2) Express Checkout through Paypal - This is when they click the paypal express checkout button on the checkout page.

each payment method has a different set of pages.

Using Direct payment, the user fills in the checkpout form, and this is posted to the confirm page. on the confirm page, the user confirms the purchase and it is processed through payla.

You have the special instructions as part of the checkout form, so setting the session and the hidden element must happen on the confirm page.

using the express checkout option, the user goes to paypal to set the payment method, they atre then returned to the pp_confrim page. here they can confirm the order and process it through paypal.

mrsam5266

When they click the PayPal button on the checkout page they are taken to the PayPal payment center and given the option to use their PP account or pay with a credit card. With this in place why is it necessary to have credit card information in the checkout form since they can select that option once they are in PP?

As far as the Instructions textarea field it doesn't matter where it is in the checkout flow as long as we can have that text captured and then add it to the emailed receipt when it goes out.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Originally Said By: mrsam5266
  When they click the PayPal button on the checkout page they are taken to the PayPal payment center and given the option to use their PP account or pay with a credit card. With this in place why is it necessary to have credit card information in the checkout form since they can select that option once they are in PP?  

Paypal pay,emts pro offers both, you can remove the checkout form from the checkout page is you like and only have the option to use express checkout.

Some people prefer to enter the CC Info on your site, some people prefer to use paypal, it just gives the buyer more options.

Originally Said By: mrsam5266
  As far as the Instructions textarea field it doesn't matter where it is in the checkout flow as long as we can have that text captured and then add it to the emailed receipt when it goes out.  

Since there are 2 payment options, you need to add the instructions fields to both payment workflows.

for the Direct payments workflow, the instructions field goes on the checkout page, you add the set session variable to the confirm page and add the hidden form element to the confirm page.

for the Express Checkout workflow, add the instructions field to the pp_confirm page and add the set session value behavior to the pp_confirm page.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...