close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Fitness Center Management Website

Thread began 8/17/2009 9:19 am by veronica.reid341765 | Last modified 5/25/2018 9:33 am by Ray Borduin | 4779 views | 7 replies |

veronica.reid341765

Fitness Center Management Website

I need to build a site that manages Fitness Center Membership. This needs to be connected to barcode log in. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, where do I start?

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

Hi Veronica,

The first question is regarding the bar code log in...

I am guessing that you are referring to the fact that when a member of the club comes to work out, they will present their card at the front desk which will then get scanned; is that correct?

If that is the case, you then need to know the capabilities of the bar code machine and software. I don't want to assume too much, but my guess is that it is a typical bar code scanner/gun that the attendant has - and is hooked up to a computer with the software drivers for the scanner.

First, find out what information is actually put on the bar code of the cards. Hopefully, it would be the same number as their user id in the database that your managing.

If that's the case, you would first need to see if the bar code scanner can output the user ID into a PHP application - either through xml or even a text file. Then in your PHP application, you would need to query the database where equal to that bar code ID to see if the member is valid. This would also mean that there would have to be some field in the database table that confirmed if the user was valid (active, paid up, etc.). It could even be a BOOLEAN value... meaning when the user has paid their dues or whatever, you could have a column titled userActive, for example - and it would get updated to TRUE if their account is current and it gets updated to FALSE if they don't make a payment. So, then you would get the user ID from the bar code and then query to get the results of the aforementioned "userActive" column... if it is TRUE, than you would let the user in. If it's false, then you would send them home :).

If you have any more details, post them and I will see how I can help.

Cheers,

Brian

Some

i think you need a barcode reader c# to help you when a member of your club take the card. it is posiible to build a site. check this one i have been using.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I would stay away from C#, since you are working PHP currently I'd stick with it. The barcode reader will probably be implemented with javascript or java anyway and you can use it to populate a hidden form element and then go from there.

I'd look into the documentation that comes with your barcode reader and make sure there is a web site integration example and it should answer your questions. If you want our help, as long as you have that documentation, we could help you integrate it in a premier support ticket.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

anonymous

Originally Said By: veronica.reid341765
  I need to build a site that manages Fitness Center Membership. This needs to be connected to barcode log in. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, where do I start?  

how to connect to barcode ?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Like Ray suggested, look in the documentation that came with the Bar Code reader you are using.

That documentation should include a web site integration example that you can use as a starting point and go from there.

Susanna

It might require scanner support. Some USB-interfaced barcode readers have "function key mode" option. When this option is enabled, the barcode reader output bar code values 01 ~ 1f as function keys. ASCII value 10 is translated into Enter key. Code128 supports encoding ASCII value 10. Produce barcode on string "1234~d0101234" will produce key sequence "1234" ENTER "1234". For serial port interface barcode scanner, search "scanner wedge program" on the Internet. Those programs translate values received from serial port into keys on the keyboard.

anonymous

barcode tools

Originally Said By: veronica.reid341765

We can provide some of the features of the code implementation methods, including the barcode generation and barcode reading capabilities, you can integrate into your application.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...