close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

My session variable being saved one page to the next.

Thread began 8/25/2013 4:13 pm by Leslie | Last modified 8/26/2013 8:03 am by Jason Byrnes | 410 views | 1 replies |

Leslie

My session variable not being saved from one page to the next.

I tried the script on this page -> http://www webassist com/forums/posts php id=5735, and it works fine.
but when I upload my two pages session id changes from page to page.

If helps any I also asked it to output the $_SESSION array and it is also showing my variable as blank on page 2, but on page 1 it clearly displays it.
I am initially setting the variable from a from as such $searchTerm = $_POST['find'];
I can't stick my session start at the very top of the page because I am sending header information so it is as far to the top as I can.Which I don't think should be causing the issue, being as it clearly displays it below in the html when I ask for it to be echoed.

Below my session start I placed this code $_SESSION['searchTerm'] = $searchTerm;

Once I hit the submit button some code above it runs (updating a database that resulted from the original identifying of the post variable). This also sends the user to a new page that is the confirm page that should hold the information they added to the text boxes. But the session variable isn't holding so it outputs what seems like the last entry in the database for that sql statement.

What have I done that would make this not work right? I have used session variables before and never had this problem.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

but when I upload my two pages session id changes from page to page.  

it sounds like a problem on the server with saving session variables.

The Session ID should not change, it should stay the same.

use the attached session Test page to test the server configuration, if the test fails, it is probably the session.save_path setting in the php.ini file, you will need to contact the host to have them fix the problem.

Attached Files
sessionTest.php.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...