close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Why do I have to remove so much garbage from my login pages?

Thread began 8/21/2013 5:42 pm by bjgarner241692 | Last modified 8/26/2013 8:49 am by bjgarner241692 | 1642 views | 6 replies |

bjgarner241692

Why do I have to remove so much garbage from my login pages?

Like the Data Assist pages your revamp of Security Assist has destroyed a perfectly good extension.
Where do you get off insisting that I implement a simple 4 cell table in CSS?
Why do you insist on implementing validation even though I do not select it in the GUI?
What right do you have to determine the complexity and length of my usernames and passwords?
Why would you create the username field as a 'password' field?

I am really quite incensed that you took so many HIGH QUALITY extensions and combined them into these 3 absolute monsters. They are bloated beyond anything reasonable and you have absolutely destroyed some of the elements which made Web Assist the standard that all others should strive for.

Every single time I use Data Assist or Security Assist tools since my last upgrade I am left absolutely furious with the wasted time that it entails.

I cannot even demand my money back because of the way you embedded so many extensions together into your 3 main pieces.

In spite of your absolutely fanatical level of support when your users encounter issues I am still left angry and disappointed by what you have done to these two elements of your product. In their previous iterations they were absolutely bullet proof. They were light weight and they installed flawlessly.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Many Customers requested a CSS Layout for the forms created by Security Assist.

The validation and element type settings can be controlled In the Field Settings section of the manage pages tab. If you want to create security assist pages that have no validation, remove all validation settings in the Field settings page, password fields will have required validation added, so use a text field for the password instead, you can always change it back after the pages are created.

In the field settings section, you can also change the password strength settings.

Also,edit the login and user update pages to uncheck the option to include captcha. Using these settings will create pages that have no validation, we aren't forcing any of these settings, they are easily changed in the wizard.

If you are not happy with the way the wizard creates the pages, you can always create them manually. The wizard does not do anything that cannot be done by adding the server behaviors.

Or if you don't like the forms created by the wizard, you can delete them from the page and create your own, just make sure to use the same element names.

bjgarner241692

It is impossible to remove all of the validation code using your Ui.

If I do not select validation for any element there should be no includes, scripts or divs related to validation on my page.

It is useless overhead.that causes errors.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, the Spry Validation needs to be deleted manually.

If you use the steps I provided for creating pages that do not include validation, no validation code will be added.

bjgarner241692

I'm sorry, but your answer makes my point. Even if I do not select any validation, I still have to manually remove the Spry Validation components. PLUS I have have to take the extra step to set username to Text from Password which should never have been set that way in the first place and I have to change the Password field from Password to Text and then back again.

1. These extensions should save work, not create it.
2. Past versions worked as expected.
3. DataAssist pages have similar issues

If I have a date field in a form, your wizard decides without my input what format that date will take and arbitrarily inserts a data picker - and it calls the default DATE format in a MySQL database incorrect. If I want to keep your DatePicker, I have to at least change the validation which, since I did not choose to validate any field SHOULD NOT BE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

I have worked in this industry for going on 20 years and I have to say I have never encountered another company that offers such incredible support for their products. You go above and beyond to help designers and it is greatly appreciated, but you have this one 100% wrong. You need to rework your UI for these products to give the simple, straightforward results you always have and save the bells and whistles for those who want them. I expect to have to add validation and formatting. I do not expect to have to remove them.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

On the manage pages tab, If you edit the registration and login pages, you have the option to include captcha, if you uncheck that option, there is no need to manually remove the captcha validation.

I have logged a bug about the username field being added in the wizard as a password field, thanks for letting us know about that.

I will also log a feature request to have an option to generate the old style of pages.

bjgarner241692

Getting rid of the CAPTCHA is easy enough, but again, why add it if I don't request it.

I appreciate your logging the feature request. On that note, if CSS presentation is necessary to keep everything tight with the new extension that is acceptable to me although I greatly prefer tables for an admin page.

The bigger issue is adding elements that are not requested and in many cases, not needed. I added the suggestion to that section of your website this morning and within the hour, 2 people agreed, so I am not alone.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...