close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Update problem

Thread began 7/20/2013 8:08 pm by Col Foster | Last modified 7/21/2013 4:30 am by Col Foster | 916 views | 4 replies |

Col Foster

Update problem

Hi,
I have a simple update form built with CSS form builder with an "update single record" server behaviour applied.
1. The form is not updating the selected record.
2. I would like the form values to persist if validation fails as now when submitted it returns blank.
3. Is it possible to validate the email field as unique as well as valid email address.

Code attached.

Thanks

Attached Files
untitled.php.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

CraigRBeta Tester

1. Update problem

On line 81, try changing

$WA_where_fieldValuesStr = "".$row_update_parents['id'] ."";

to

$WA_where_fieldValuesStr = "".$_GET['id'] ."";

It looks like the form is passing the url parameter correctly when submitted, so I think this will work

2. Persist problem

for the form values to persist, you need to set the value of each field to the WA validated Entries Value (you can do this by choosing the Init val in the field properties.)

eg - for the address field, instead of

value="<?php echo $row_update_parents['eaddress']; ?>"

it should look something like (please forgive any typos)

value="<?php echo((isset($_GET["invalid"])?ValidatedField("untitled","eaddress"):"".$row_update_parents ["eaddress"]."")); ?>"

This will set the field value to the value you passed for validation, - unless that is an empty string, otherwise it will set the field value to the value from the recordset

3. There is a server validation server behavior called 'unique database value' which should be able to achieve this

Col Foster

Thanks Craig, but still not updating.
Data now persists bit there is another problem in that when the form is called, the email field is blank which will be a problem with large forms if I only want to change one field.
I may be asking too much of DA to have the fields populated with the original data AND persist if validation fails.

When I open the server validation behavior from the behaviors panel I have the choice to validate as an email address or unique value but not both as I could when building the registration form with the "create security pages" wizard

CraigRBeta Tester

if you want, you can PM me a copy of the table(s) and i will try and take a look later today

Col Foster

Thanks Craig,
The site is almost complete, I really just wanted the added security afforded by "security assist", which I now have.
I was going to redo all insert & update forms with webassist but I think I'll stick with my original forms & add CAPTCHA.
Thanks again for your help.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...