close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

redirect base on user level

Thread began 7/14/2013 3:20 am by Col Foster | Last modified 7/17/2013 3:27 am by Col Foster | 1905 views | 8 replies |

Col Foster

redirect base on user level

I need to redirect users with user level "1" to my admin section & user level "2" to the members section.

I've tried this code from another post in my login success page (modified version in attachment) without success.
Is this solution still current?

<?php
if(!session_id()) session_start();
switch($_SESSION['UserLevel']) {
case "admin":
header("Location: admin_index.php");
break;
case "visitor":
header("Location: visitor_index.php");
break;
}
?>

Sign in to reply to this post

CraigRBeta Tester

what values are you storing in your 'UserLevel' session variable ?

You say you want to redirect user level '1' and '2' - but your switch statement is using 'admin' and 'visitor'

Do you need to change your case options to read case '1' and case '2' ??

Col Foster

Thanks, I had changed to 1 & 3 (2 was a typo) The posted code was an example from an earlier thread.
My code in attachment

Col Foster

Thanks again, I've got that one sorted. I had uLevel instead of ulevel.
I have another question.
I would like some pages to be accessed by user levels "1" & "3" can this be done?

CraigRBeta Tester

Yes, you can do this.

Here’s one way I did it.
Create a number of access rules, through the access rules manager, and apply the appropriate access rule to the relevant pages.

For example, imagine you have 3 user groups, let’s call them 3, 2, 1
create the conditions which allow the rule to be met, so rule ‘Group 1’ could be

‘Allow if <?php echo $_SESSION['userLevel']; ?> = 1

then create as many access rules as you need

In the access pages manager, you apply the rule to allow access if the condition is met or redirect (eg to login page) if it isn’t.

you can also do this with hierarchical user levels, so if you have a hierarchy, such as
member, admin, group admin, each corresponding to a different user level eg 3, 2, 1

you set up an access rule so that ‘group admin’ user level is 1
you set up an access rule so that ‘admin’ user level is 2 OR 1, so all group admins are also admins
you set up an access rule so that ‘member’ user level is 3 OR 2 OR 1, so all admins and group admins are also members.

Col Foster

Thanks Craig, I'll give that a go
I may be back :o)

Col Foster

Sorry,
I was ok up until,
you set up an access rule so that ‘admin’ user level is 2 OR 1, so all group admins are also admins
I'll need a bit of a walk through for this if that's ok.
Is there no way the "restrict access" code applied to a page could be duplicated to allow access to different user levels

Thanks

CraigRBeta Tester

i'm sure you could do it that way, but it would probably mean hand coding all of the pages, as I don't know if the Security Assist- Manage Site Access wizard or the security assist server behaviors could cope with that.

Here's the logic (for what its worth) of what I did.

Imagine Members have a userLevel of 1, Administrators 2, Group Administrators 3

I wanted members to see some pages not generally accessible to the public
I wanted administrators to see some pages not accessible to the public or members, but I also wanted then to be able to see members pages
I wanted group administrators to see some pages not accessible to the public or members or administrators, but I also wanted then to be able to see members and administrators pages, - so effectively I have a cascading hierarchy where group admins can access pretty much everything, admins most things, members some things and the public, everything else. Get it ?

What I then did was create access rules, so that the

Members rule condition was to allow access if the userLevel session variable was 1 or 2 or 3
Administrators rule condition was to allow access if the userLevel session variable was 2 or 3
Group Administrators rule condition was to allow access if the userLevel session variable was 3

So if an admin logs in, they are userLevel 2, so can access all pages accessible to members and administrators (and public), but not group administrators.

Then you apply page access security either via the wizard or the server behaviors.

Col Foster

OK, it took a while but the penny has dropped. All working now.
Many thanks!!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...