close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

CSS Form Builder Client Validation Error

Thread began 8/15/2009 11:16 am by wauser | Last modified 9/23/2009 12:48 pm by conversationmail388568 | 6730 views | 13 replies |

wauser

CSS Form Builder Client Validation Error

I build a form using a CSS Form Builder using a preset.
Everything works fine. Then I add client validation everything works except the "Required" field option, in which case I get the following error when attempt to apply "Required" to a form field:

While executing OnClick in WAFV_Required_C.htm, the following JavaScript error(s) occured:

At line 43 of file "C:\Program Files\Common\Adobe\Installers\[Adobe Number]\Adobe Dreamweaver CS4\Configuration\Commands\WAFV_Required_C.js":tagType is not defined.

The other forms of client side validation seem to work OK.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Do you have a sample url? If I could look at the code I could probably find a solution pretty quickly.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

wauser

No url but I can zip it up and email it to you. I am running on my local machine using the WAMP Server (Apache, PHP 5.3, and MYSQL). Can you reproduce the problem there? If not then it is a config issue on my machine.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I will try to reproduce it on monday when I am back in the office.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Dani Chankhour

Hi,

I was able to reproduce this issue. the bug has been logged in our bug base and the fix will be included in our next dot release.

Meanwhile, i have attached a file with the fix to this issue. Please download and extract the zip file and replace your local file at (make sure to have Dreamweaver closed):

C:\Program Files\Common\Adobe\Installers\[Adobe Number]\Adobe Dreamweaver CS4\Configuration\Commands\

Attached Files
WAFV_Required_C.js.zip

anonymous

Dani,

The problem appears to bigger than just this, though. After experiencing the same issue on mac, I replaced the file you spoke of which, while it allows me to add client validation with the "required" attribute, it actually does not do anything in validation.

In fact, if I add a "required' validation, it makes the entire client validation not do anything at all including that date reformatting, etc. on other items.

If i try to edit the validations individually, through the tag behavior inspector, a new error arises stating: "While executing applyBehavior in WAFV_Required_C.htm, a javascript error occurred."

I know the fix was to replace the JS file... do we, perhaps, also need a new HTM file to accompany it?

Thanks and best regards,

Brian

Dani Chankhour

Hi,

To fix the issue with the error message we will need to copy the same file to a different location. Please replace the attached file in this location:

C:\Program Files\Common\Adobe\Installers\[Adobe Number]\Adobe Dreamweaver CS4\Configuration\Behaviors\Actions\WA Validation Toolkit\Apply Client Validations

(Make sure to have Dreamweaver closed)

In regard to your question about the client validation could you tell me the steps you took. Because i did a test and it seems that the required validation is firing up every time i click the submit button.

Attached Files
WAFV_Required_C.js.zip

anonymous

Hi Dani,

Thanks for the reply but I am still having some issues. I went and put the file where you said to (of course it is a slightly different path on the mac). One thing was strange though is that the JS file didn't even originally exist in that folder on the Mac... maybe there is an issue with installation of CSS Form Builder on the Mac. But either way, after adding the JS file, it still gives me the same error when trying to edit the "required' behavior in the tag inspector. It also still doesn't validate anything as I can press submit with nothing in the field that I have added "required" to.

To reproduce, I am simply making a form on a blank page with one field just for testing purposes. I did this after narrowing down more complex forms, so I could just test the functionality of the required behavior.

Here's the code that is generated; maybe you will see something here that tells of the problem:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function WAAlertErrors(errorHead,errorFoot,setFocus,submitForm,allowOverride) {
if (!document.WAFV_StopAlert) {
document.WAFV_StopAlert = true;
if (document.WAFV_InvalidArray) {
document.WAFV_Stop = true;
var errorMsg = document.WAFV_Error;
if (errorHead!="")
errorMsg = errorHead + "\n" + errorMsg;
if (errorFoot!="")
errorMsg += "\n" + errorFoot;
document.MM_returnValue = false;
if (document.WAFV_Error!="") {
if (allowOverride) {
if (confirm(errorMsg.replace(/&quot;/g,'"'))) {
document.MM_returnValue = true;
return;
}
}
else {
alert(errorMsg.replace(/&quot;/g,'"'));
}
}
else if (submitForm)
submitForm.submit();
if (setFocus && document.WAFV_Focus) {
if (document.getElementById(document.WAFV_Focus.name+"___Config") && document.WAFV_Focus.type.toLowerCase() == "hidden") {
var theEditor = FCKeditorAPI.GetInstance(document.WAFV_Focus.name);
theEditor.EditorWindow.focus();
setTimeout("setTimeout('document.WAFV_Stop = false;document.WAFV_StopAlert = false;',1)",1);
}
else {
document.tempFocus = document.WAFV_Focus;
setTimeout("document.tempFocus.focus();setTimeout('document.WAFV_Stop = false;document.WAFV_StopAlert = false;',1)",1);
}
}
else {
document.WAFV_Stop = false;
document.WAFV_StopAlert = false;
}
for (var x=0; x<document.WAFV_InvalidArray.length; x++) {
document.WAFV_InvalidArray[x].WAFV_Stop = false;
}
}
else {
document.WAFV_Stop = false;
document.WAFV_StopAlert = false;
if (submitForm) {
submitForm.submit();
}
document.MM_returnValue = true;
}
document.WAFV_Focus = false;
document.WAFV_Error = false;
document.WAFV_InvalidArray = false;
}
}
//-->
</script>
</head>

<body>
<form action="" method="post" name="form1" id="form1" onsubmit="WAValidateRQ(document.form1.name,'- Entry is required',document.getElementById('form1').name.value,0,false,'input.text');WAAlertErrors('The following errors were found','Correct invalid entries to continue',true,document.getElementById('false'),false);return document.MM_returnValue">
<p>
<input type="text" name="name" id="name" />
</p>
<p>
<input type="submit" name="button" id="button" value="Submit" />
</p>
</form>
</body>
</html>

Thanks,

Brian

Dani Chankhour

Hi,

It looks like the path that i have specified is incorrect. If you are on a mac you will need to place the file in these two locations:

Hard disk: Users: <Your User Name>: Library: Application Support: Adobe: Dreamweaver CS4: en_US : Configuration: Behaviors: Actions: WA Validation Toolkit: Apply Client Validations

And

Hard disk: Users: <Your User Name>: Library: Application Support: Adobe: Dreamweaver CS4: en_US : Configuration: Commands

The WAFV_Required_C.js should exists in both locations.

Let me if you still get this error after replacing the files.

anonymous

Dani,

That fixed the problem... thanks so much. You may want to make that sticky if other mac user run into the problem.

Best regards,

Brian

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...