close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Future of Webassist after ADDT is dead

Thread began 3/25/2009 8:34 am by mkoch217778 | Last modified 4/27/2009 8:44 am by rdream188601 | 10074 views | 15 replies |

mkoch217778

Future of Webassist after ADDT is dead

Now after Adobe said they will discontinue and not support ADDT anymore (obviously after buying Interakt) I would suggest the following general feature additions:

1. Image resizing and multiple image upload
2. conditional regions behairvor similar to ADDT with other additions like show region if user is logged in, conditional region based on if file exist or filed exist etc
3. More form controls similar to ADDT
3. More custom triggers and more development in this area
4. Page and record navigation
5. Improving integration into DW. I don't like that the different tools are all over the place as I have everything from webassist

Let's go guys. Now you are the only real provider for dynamic extensions for DW because Adobe dropped ADDT!

Sign in to reply to this post

carlene353689Beta Tester

I agree...can you also add the Export XML feature also. That's invaluable. I also like ADDToolkit's Validation and login functionality better than yours, but that's just me.

Oh yeah - and what about NON table based forms in your wizards? Some updated CSS styled forms that don't look circa 1998?

Danilo Celic

Originally Said By: carlene353689
  I agree...can you also add the Export XML feature also. That's invaluable. I also like ADDToolkit's Validation and login functionality better than yours, but that's just me.  

Exporting XML is fairly easy task to do by hand, and Adobe provides sample code for ASP, CF and PHP that can be modified quickly to add you own recordsets into. Keep those around as snippets, or code template files in your code repository, and away you go.

I know that we've discussed an export XML extension in the past, but it just hasn't moved up in the list of products to work on recently. Of course, if more people were requesting it, that story might change.

What about the ADDT validation and log in functionality that makes them better for you? Specific instances are better than

Originally Said By: carlene353689
  Oh yeah - and what about NON table based forms in your wizards? Some updated CSS styled forms that don't look circa 1998?  

We've certainly heard this one a few time, so I know that we've looking at doing something along this line in the future (sorry no timeline I'm aware of).

mkoch217778

conditional regions

danilo:

here the info for conditional regions which I think make sense and will help most developers. Sure, you can write these by hand but it goes so much quicker to just have the menu option:

help.html?content=MXK3_048100_Conditional_Region.htm

I think it would be good to add also some feature that George Petrov from dmxzone.com had in his extension:

e.g "Show an image only when it is available, otherwise show a default image"
go?553

Like I said, everything together would really help.

mkoch217778

Form Controls for Webassist

here you can see the ADDT Form Controls which I always thought are really helpful:

help.html?content=ch5_form_controls_01.html

Any integration with the current Spry framework would be awesome.

I think for any developer there are many more options that could be developed and added to the list. I always thought it makes form creation so much easier if everything is in one place.

Danilo Celic

First off, thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to add any that we can get specific wishes for into the appropriate product's bugbase as feature requests.

Originally Said By: mkoch217778
  1. Image resizing and multiple image upload  

We are planning on having image resizing in the next version of Digital File Pro (DFP). Sorry, no timeline as yet.

You can currently upload as many files as you want with Digital File Pro; you would need to apply Digital File Pro once for each file filed you want to upload from. You could also loop over the DFP code if you wanted to work on an arbitrary list of form fields, but you would need to write the looping code and customize the DFP function to pass in the form field referenced in the current iteration of the loop. I do understand that that isn't automated, but at least currently possible if you can dig in a little into the code.

2. conditional regions behairvor similar to ADDT with other additions like show region if user is logged in, conditional region based on if file exist or filed exist etc  

I don't have access to ADDT, so not sure what conditional regions it has available. Could you describe them, or even provide a link to a help page that lists out what you're specifically asking for?

SecurityAssist does have the ability to apply show regions based upon rules, a default rule created by SecurityAssist is a logged in user. So you can wrap a selection with a show if logged in, or show if not logged in. Rules can contain some custom code, so I suppose that you could extend them to check for the existance of a file, but you'd would need to write that specific one yourself.

3. More form controls similar to ADDT  

Again no ADDT access, so please explain specifically what types of form controls you're missing out on in our tools.

3. More custom triggers and more development in this area  

Please explain what triggers you'd like to see. Our current Triggers are fairly powerful for initiating the action of our server code, but there's always room to consider something useful. If you have a few sample uses and any code chunks would be quite useful if there is something that you find you need to do a lot of (or even what you find you're doing a lot of that you don't have ready solutions to are great as well).

4. Page and record navigation  

We have thought about this in regard to DataAssist results pages. Do you have any specific suggestions that would be good to have some sort of automated solution for?

5. Improving integration into DW. I don't like that the different tools are all over the place as I have everything from webassist  

We do put a good bit of thought into where our extensions are accessible from within the Dreamweaver user interface, but we're certainly open for improving the user experience. What specifically would be "improving integration" mean to you? DO you have some examples of what you'd put in a different/new place?

mkoch217778

We do put a good bit of thought into where our extensions are accessible from within the Dreamweaver user interface, but we're certainly open for improving the user experience. What specifically would be "improving integration" mean to you? DO you have some examples of what you'd put in a different/new place?  

Example: Right now if you have several different webassist extensions they show up in several different places under "Applications > Server Behaivors". I think just having 1 point called "Webassist" and from there you go into data assist, universal email etc. Even splitting the product by functions like forms, email, data etc. This way it is much easier to access it and you can actually split each product group into separate functions...

mkoch217778

Originally Said By: danilo
  We have thought about this in regard to DataAssist results pages. Do you have any specific suggestions that would be good to have some sort of automated solution for?  

I always thought that Tom Muck with his Navigation Suite did such a great job if he would have continued developing it.

RecordsetNavigationSuite/

I think with some nice CSS integration and different display options that would be probably even a separate product for you to sell.
In every development there is always a huge need for filtering. Even if you can add simple ajax functionality to some aspects of it I think it would be a good seller.

mkoch217778

Calendar

oh yes, I still remember the great interakt times as we had a calendar extension that would pretty much help us to build any calendar really quick and connect it to a database with a nice CSS layout. Sure, there are some great calendars in php on the market but all in all it would be great to have again a solution that would just make it easy to add a dynamic calendar to any website with some simple clicks.

Danilo Celic

Thanks so much for the links. I'll be able to put them into the feature requests for the appropriate applications.

Regarding putting menu items under a WebAssist flyout in the server behaviors panel: There is a bug in Dreamweaver with multiply nested flyouts where when you have "too many" items in the flyout then for some reason Dreamweaver will stop displaying items in the menu, as well as any menus below the parent menu. So we're not actually able to do it without messing up other things in Dreamweaver.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...