close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Adding new content to page

Thread began 6/26/2013 7:10 am by Paul | Last modified 8/16/2013 7:50 am by Jason Byrnes | 3760 views | 33 replies |

Paul

Adding new content to page

First time using PowerCms. I have a listing page for a realtor. Each listing is contained in a table. I am making each table a cms content area, so the realtor can edit their listings.

If the realtor wants to add a new listing on that page (and not edit an existing listing); how do I set that up so, they can do that?

Thanks!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

To add a new content area to a page, they would need to edit the page code.

They would need to log in as super admin to the CMS Admin section.

select the content page and add a new content area, once the content area is created in CMS, click the developer notes link to get the code for adding that content area to a page.

copy that code and open the page in an editor, paste the code where the content area should display.

I Think you would be better of using a content template. see the following tutorial:
http://www.webassist.com/community/tutorials/view_tutorial.php?tid=27

Paul

Thanks Jason. So, if I understand this correctly, if I create a template then my user can add new real estate listings to the template and these new listings will be automatically added to the live listing page.

Or is it more involved?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You would create a page that shows all of the Listings that have been added, and a link to the template page to show those listings.

Paul

I have gone over the tutorial and I am still not clear on how this will work for a client. The client will not know how to add developer notes to the page, nor know how to upload the page to the server.

That being said, do I understand the tutorial correctly in that if I create a template from a page, the client will be able to use the template to add a new page and then add new content to that new page? After which, the client will grab the URL Variable and add it to the end of the original content page and that will automatically update the live page? This is the area that isn't clear to me.

I have a page where a realtor lists their properties for sale. I want them to have the ability to add new listings to the page using PowerCMS.

Thanks!

Paul

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the client would not need to add any developer notes, the pages would already be set up by you.

you would initially configure the site to use the template.

the tutorial also shows how to set up a page that automatically lists any new pages that are created from the template.

you as the developer would set this all up ahead of time for the client.

once set up, the client would only need to create the new page form the template and populate the details, it would atomically be created for them from there.

Paul

Hi Jason,

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I have two pages that I am adding CMS to. I went into Power CMS, selected a page and created a template. The template was created, but it doesn't have anything in it. I thought the template would be created with the same content areas as the page the template was based on? I did it with the other page - same results. I watched a tutorial and it showed the template being created with duplicate content areas. Am I missing a step?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

When you create a CMS Template, you need to add the content areas to the template.

you then need to create the page that will display the template content areas and add the developer notes to the new page.

This is all covered in the tutorial for using Power CMS Templates:
http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Use-templates-in-PowerCMS

Paul

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't make sense! I already created the page in DW and added the content areas using "add content to powercms" from the Webassist menu in DW. The page that I want to use as a template already exists with content areas. Is there a better step-by-step tutorial showing this process from the point of view of creating the page in DW, adding the content areas in DW and then creating the template in powercms? I seem to remember a video showing this, but I can't find it now. This is very frustrating.

Thanks!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The Add Content to Page behavior does not allow you to create CMS Templates.

To Create a CMS Template Content area,, you need to use the CMS Admin Section.

the first part of the tutorial walsk through that step in the "Create the template" section.

you may find the Video version of this tutorial more helpful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbplAlzNexI&list=PL21CA2EF37DE22B2C&index=2

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...