close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

PayPal Express Checkout frequently fails

Thread began 5/13/2013 3:32 pm by jason363662 | Last modified 5/14/2013 9:37 am by jason363662 | 408 views | 2 replies |

jason363662

PayPal Express Checkout frequently fails

I've set up PayPal Express checkout pages using eCart5/DW6. Sometimes it works fine - I get all the way through the checkout process and the cart updates my db.

Sometimes, however, I get all the way through the checkout to the last page of PayPal confirmation, which tells me I will be taken back to my site to confirm the transaction. Instead of taking me back to the confirm page, however, I'm taken back to my cart display page and the cart appears empty. The transaction doesn't process, and no record is created in my db.

I'm not taken to the pp_chechoutfailure page, so I don't believe it is a PP authentication/approval error.

It seems like perhaps the cart has indeed been emptied, or perhaps the order number didn't get set in the session variable, but with all the moving parts, I can't figure out why this is happening.

Any suggestions of where to start my trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

this usually happens if the address for the site switches from not including www to including www

The cart contents are stored in a session. the browsing session is based on a cookie. The cookie that is set is set for the domain.

As far as cookies are concerned, the address:
www.mydomain.com

is not the same domain as:
mydomain.com

so both addresses get a separate browsing cookie and a separate session.

if a visitor comes to your site at:
mydomain.com

then goes to paypal and paypal redirects to:
www.mydomain.com

that will clear the cart since they are separate

The fix for this is to use an htaccess rule to to force none www traffic to the www domain. see this page for more details:
http://www.htaccessbasics.com/force-www-nonwww-domain/

jason363662

Solved!

That was it, thanks Jason. You guys are awesome!

Assuming it was due to the way the browsers were handling it, but the problem was more frequent in FF than Chrome or IE (just in case anyone is reading this and having the same issue)

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...