close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Static ECart Add to Cart Buttons - How to set drop down menu

Thread began 4/28/2013 2:32 pm by Etta | Last modified 5/06/2013 6:48 pm by Etta | 3962 views | 11 replies |

Etta

Static ECart Add to Cart Buttons - How to set options menu

Hi there, I have set the cart and everything in between and am up to setting the static (non database) buttons for add to cart.

In order to have drop down menus for the (ie: colours) do I need to go through the whole recordset setup / database situation - or is there a way that I can actually have an options field with a menu on a static button. We are migrating over from paypal to our own shopping cart hence have purchased ecart - paypal allows you to add drop down menus as part of their actual add to cart buttons and it was super easy....

I have gone around and around the forums but cannot seem to locate any specific posts about setting up options buttons on static add to carts . Likewise the tutorial for the static "add options" is unfortunately no longer available due to some bug on webassist and hence that is no assistance.

Would appreciate your assistance.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the add to cart button behavior, set the option column (ie color) to be updatable from a select list.

this will add the select list to the page.

you can then populate it with static values suing the property selector.

Etta

Setting Shipping Defaults

This post has been deleted.

Etta

Drop Down Buttons & Cart Issues

Hi Jason,

I have tried two ways as follows just to play around:

Firstly - as suggested I have set the text field as updatable from a list - I then go to the property selector to add the values. If I add them in "values" the list does not populate at all live. If I add them however in the "label" field it populates - why is this? How do I get them to come up in values as this could be causing my next problem... as an aside.to get the description into the cart for each product I had to also set "add new" instead of sum if more than one item is in the cart....

That has raised an issue. When I add a few different types to the cart from that select menu button (which you will see on the below page is on the 'right' of the page) and go to the cart I cannot delete a single row without it deleting the whole lot. I figured this may be due to the ecart object ID and Description needing to be set to unique - so I did that but it didn't help.

http://www.livinggifts.co.nz/Single_Gift_Box.php

Most of my further products need drop down menus on other pages so I need to sort what I am doing wrong out so that I can get the rest right...

Now, just because its Sunday here and I have time on my hands whilst I wait for assistance I thought I would try using single "add to cart" buttons on the same page to try them out... so here's the next problem with THAT scenario for me.

If you just use the single "add to cart" buttons (all with separate ID numbers and different descriptions so not to confuse the system) below the pictures we get an issue at the cart.

Explaining: If you add say three products and then try to remove two products that are not next to each other from the cart it empties the cart completely. For this to happen the customer has to delete say the first and third product...if they delete one at a time its fine, if they delete two at a time (with one not being deleted in the middle) it empties the cart.

So if you were to add three separate products from those "add to cart" buttons on the page...

Cart:
ie: Product one (check remove)
Product two (leave)
Product three (Check remove).

Then if you go "update cart" it empties the cart of all products.... what's going on? Its got me beat.

So yes, I could do with some help on firstly the drop down menu scenario as that will be used in the whole site and secondly why the cart empties if records not next to each other are deleted.

Thanks very much for your time

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

a select list has to pieces, the label and the value.

The Label is what the user sees in the list. The value is what is sent when the form is submitted. In some cases, you may want to show test in the lit, but end an ID number. If you wish to both show and send the txt, then add the text for both the label and the value.

Web using options, in the cart object, you should set the option columns as Unique. My bet is that the option column is not unique causing the other issues you are experiencing.

Etta

Still empties cart

Unfortunately that does not help with the single "add to cart" buttons - whom have no "option" associated with them, I have the ID number, Name, Description all set to unique now and have updated the ecart object etc live - it still empties the entire shopping cart if two or more are selected

In relation to the drop down menu - I have both the Label and the Value populated - again if you click the first and the third to tell it to remove and click update cart it empties the whole cart. I do not have an "Options" field - I am not sure why I need one of these if I am simply (as per your first reply) putting the options under the Description (unique) on the button - or do you want me to try to create this button another way now?

So both types - whilst they can go through to the cart it empties when you click to remove one and three or two / four etc - you can see what it is doing through the page supplied.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I'll need to troubleshoot directly, see the private message section.

Etta

Site Link:

Please see private message.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

your cart.php page had multiple instances of the Update Cart behavior.

this was causing the other items in the cart to be removed since the behavior was being executed multiple times.

i removed the duplicates for you.

Etta

Yippppeee

I'm extremely grateful Jason - not being someone who reads code well I would never have found that myself.

Another couple of question if I may.

May seem a simple question - Is there a way to perhaps "on click" of the submit button that it also sends me an email with the shipping confirmation page ? I am going to get a database (person) to help me set that side of it up so eventually it goes to a database and then the database emails me the orders along with gift card information, but in the meantime is there a way to associate something with the click on "submit" where it emails me that - I know its a little backwards for now but I guess I'm wondering if it can work such as a csv form does?

Secondly: On the drop down menu type button - when it goes over to paypal it does not say the "description" being the value that is added to the cart that differentiates itself from the initial "Single" box - it simply states "Single Gift Box" - I therefore cannot tell from Paypal which "type" they ordered. Is there a way to get this description to come up on Paypal through a drop down menu button?

Thanks!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...