close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Please explain how Session Variables work

Thread began 4/18/2013 11:41 am by greg401801 | Last modified 4/18/2013 1:22 pm by Jason Byrnes | 760 views | 5 replies |

greg401801

Please explain how Session Variables work

I've used SecurityAssist to build my Registration and Login pages. On the Login page I have added to the SecurityAssist Authenticate User Server Behavior, on the Session Values tab, a column to set UserFirstName as a Session Variable. After the user clicks login, he is taken to a Welcome page with a nice little "Welcome UserFirstName" at the top of the page. I dragged the UserFirstName from the Bindings panel. When I log in I see a name...but not necessarily the correct name. Sometimes it is correct, sometimes not.

Which leads to my question - isn't a session variable always available for the duration of that session? If it has been set as part of the login process, it should be available until I quit the Browser or close the window, or whatever else constitutes ending a session, correct?

So either it isn't being set properly in the first place or it is somehow being changed (not sure how this is possible). I have attached my login page and my Welcome page. I suspect it is something silly, but I can't seem to locate the problem.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

your login page has a pretty big probelm on it.

you have 3 authenticate user behaviors, one at line 11 - 130, the second at line 132 - 149, those are both fine

but the 3rd one at lines 151 - 168 should be deleted.

the way that one is set is to look up the UserLevel session, and set the UserName session based on the user level.

what that means is that the Userfirst Name session being set wont necessarily match the user that is logged in, it match the first record for the logged in user level.

greg401801

See private message:

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, you can have index.php as your home page.

delete the index.html and only have the php page.

if the browser is not picking up the index.php page, contact the host, they can add the index.php page to the default list.

greg401801

I'll do that. I have a problem though. I deleted the code as you instructed. Now when I enter my username and password and click "login" I am taken back to the same page. Essentially, nothing happens. I can't log in. When we deleted that code it caused the login to stop working.

Suggestions?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

it's not that login is failing, it's that the success redirect is empty in the authenticate user behavior.

"successRedirect" => "",
"failRedirect" => "login.php?failedLogin=1",

open the server behaviors panel, double click the authenticate user behavior and set the success redirect.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...