close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How do I transfer sessions from one site to another?

Thread began 4/01/2013 11:42 am by mrs | Last modified 4/04/2013 7:00 pm by mrs | 2929 views | 14 replies |

mrs

How do I transfer sessions from one site to another?

I have created a few little applications which I was hoping to use as a bedrock for new and adding to existing websites; applications a bit like the double op-in application where I caan copy the files and paste them into the site root. This all works well to a degree, until I find that the sessions I've created haven't come across with the files.

I've copied the files along with the associated webassist folder, but the sessions are missing from the bindings panel, so my question is where is the session info, and how do I copy it into a new site?

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

If you go to the page where the sessions are first created and double click on them on in the server behaviour panel then it then click OK on the box that appears it should the recreate them in the bindings panel for you to use...

...you can do this also if you created some other webassist behaviours such as the html editor and if you were to delete the ckeditor just double click on the server behaviour in the page that its code is first used and the directory structure will be recreated (as an example)

Chris

mrs

I have been through all pages that I can and doubled clicked every behaviour in the server behaviours panel and OK'd them and managed to get the sessions required to display in the bindings panel, but the site doesn't seem to be working as required.

If I use the double opt-in tutorial as an example, the session SecurityAssist_UserID is used as a filter in a recordset (the session is initially created on the registration page via the insert behaviour), and I have records relating to the user, but I can't seem to get them to display on the webpage. If I test in the recordset wizard, it works perfectly.

What am I missing here. I created this little application to save myself time, but typically it has ended up costing me more because of something silly that I don't understand, but have working elsewhere!

Do you register the session in question from the login page?

Chris

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Sessions wont transfer from one site to another just by copying pages.

you would need to create a listing of the sessions from the main site, then create them manually using the bindings panel.

On the Bindings panel, click the plus and select Session to create a session bindings, using the list, you can create each session binding that you need.

mrs

Ah well, that's just pretty poor isn't it? Adobe need to get on top of that don't they? I mean, how many developers create loads of small applications that can be developed once and then used on many sites!

I know I do, and I have struggled with this often, but I am now using a lot of sessions and it's becoming laborious to have to figure how to overcome issues in sites that don't work because sessions are missing.

Perhaps there could be an addition to the security assist extension to be able to import sessions from other sites, or even run a script to recognise sessions in pages are copied in to the site to populate the bindings panel.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The only work around is to create the session bindings manually.

@mrs @Jason

Jason, I think possible mrs may have explained themselves wrong...as I know that if I create a webpage that serves a purpose (such as a small application) then copied that file to another project folder...obviously the sessions wouldnt be active in the bindings panel...however if i were to double click on the session in the server behaviours then double click on it then it would recreate that session for use in the bindings panel.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, double clicking the server behavior can work, but that is a tedious process to go to each page and double click each server behavior.

it is simpler to create a listing of session bindings, and create them by clicking the plus button the bindings panel to recreate the bindings.

Thanks for the tip Jason, yes I had that tedious task a while back with lots of sessions I had to recreate :)

Chris

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...