close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Search behavior issue with dates.

Thread began 3/26/2013 7:13 pm by neo314 | Last modified 3/27/2013 9:22 am by neo314 | 1304 views | 6 replies |

neo314

Search behavior issue with dates.

I have added a search behavior to a set of WADB pages. The saledate field is set to = as the comparison operator.

The problem is I want to be able to search for sales on a day, but record the day and time of the sale. The field is already a day and time field. How can I use WADB to search for records recorded on a day out of a date-time field?

Is there an easy way to do thisother than setting up a between date 1 and date 2 form fields which would still have to be date time fields or if they both were the same day, it would come out 2013-03-25 00:00:00 to 2013-03-25 00:00:00.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

in the recordset for the results page, you would need to use the MySQL DATE_FORMAT() function to return the date formatted as only the Y-m-d portion.

for example:
SELECT *, DATE_FORMAT(dateColumn, "%Y-%m-%d") as formatedDate FROM tblName

then in the Database Search criteria for the date search, use the formatedDate aliased column

neo314

Nice solution. I'll give that a try.

neo314

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  in the recordset for the results page, you would need to use the MySQL DATE_FORMAT() function to return the date formatted as only the Y-m-d portion.

for example:
SELECT *, DATE_FORMAT(dateColumn, "%Y-%m-%d") as formatedDate FROM tblName

then in the Database Search criteria for the date search, use the formatedDate aliased column  

Nice thought, but it doesn't work. Unknown column 'formatedDate' in 'where clause'

This works:

SELECT *, DATE_FORMAT(dateColumn, "%Y-%m-%d") as formatedDate FROM tblName WHERE DATE_FORMAT(dateColumn, "%Y-%m-%d") = [search date]

but I don't know how I could get WADB to do that.

neo314

I think, without making it completely custom, that my choices are to either do a search for from dateY to dateY, or add a column that holds only the date.

Even the first scenario requires tweaking the code as WADB will add the date column twice, but gives the form input the same name.

It would be nice if the GUI had some better options for searching date columns. Consider that a feature request.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I see, I always forget that you cant use an aliased column in the WHERE clause.

After running the Data Assist Search wizard, you would need to edit the comparison code to add the date format

for example, the comparison may look like this:

php:
$WADbSearch1->addComparisonFromEdit("DateColumn")","dateField","AND","=",0);

you would add the date format option like this:

php:
$WADbSearch1->addComparisonFromEdit("DATE_FORMAT(DateColumn,\"%Y-%m-%d\")","dateField","AND","=",0);

neo314

Thanks., That is helpful. I already made a from x date to y date range search function. I'll share how I did that later, but this will also be useful in the future.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...