close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Detail page on same page as update page

Thread began 3/06/2013 8:36 am by Jonas | Last modified 4/15/2013 1:25 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2885 views | 22 replies |

Jonas

Detail page on same page as update page

Is there a way to create an update page with the content from the detail page?
What I want to do is a page that displays a number of products from the database just like a regular update-side does. But I also want to display the information from the detail page in another column on the same page.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You would need to create a recordset to return the detail record, then use the recordset bindings to display the information from the recordset.

Jonas

If I understand your answer, this manual work? Nothing Data Assist can do.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, data assist will not create the Details page code on the results page, you will need to do it manually.

Jonas

It was sad because I do not understand as much about building advanced record sets. Could you possibly give me a hint?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the link to the results page will pass a URL parameter, use that URL parameter to filter the recordset.

I dont know enough about your database and results page to give any further details than that.

Jonas

I thought I could follow your tutorial 'Displaying Relational Tables With Plug-ins'. But this does not explain my problem. Otherwise this tutorial as well as all others were very well made. I have a table where I want to show both the detail page and the results page on the same page. Unfortunately, I do not understand the theory here. Which had facilitated. Attached is the three pages that I created using Data Assist. The database has been myself. What should I do?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

create the results and details pages separately.

use the standard results and details page set. you can then add the details page to the results page as a plugin.

when you test the results page, it will link to the details page using a URL Variable.

for example:
details.php?id=3

in this example, the URL variable "id" passes the ID of the record to show the details for.

using that link as a guide, I create a new URL binding on the bindings panel by clicking the plus button, select URL Variable and set the name to "id.

then add the plugin, Go to webassist -> Framework Builder -> Plugins -> Insert Plugin.

for the plugin source, select the details page, then click the parameters button, create a new parameter named id, and for the value, click the lightning bolt icon and select the id URL variable.

now if you visit the results page and pass an ID:
results.php?id=3

it will show the details for that record.

Jonas

Thanks Jason! I have done as you say and it works. But what do you do if you want the results area to view all the records all the time. So when choosing one, the area containing the details page displays the information from this page. In default mode, all entries from the results page is displayed.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I dont follow, the results page should show all records by default.

only if you use the search page to perform a search should the results by limited.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...