close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Verification e-mail link not always working

Thread began 8/11/2009 12:22 pm by toby379423 | Last modified 8/20/2009 12:56 pm by Eric Mittman | 2894 views | 5 replies |

toby379423

Verification e-mail link not always working

For some reason, some of the e-mail verification links don't seem to be working, they just seem to link to nowhere. I see them in the admin area, and they seem to be verified, but the user can't seem to get the verification page to show up. The site is hosted thru GoDaddy.com and the last problem email was a hotmail account. I don't mean to sound too vague, but that's all of the info I have:

mandyingber.com

Any suggestions, ideas?

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I registered a new user on your site with the name of wa test. I did not see the verify link sent to my email. I'm able to login and visit my profile but the link did not arrive. In your admin back end you should have the link that I will need to click on to verify the email address. If you can please post back with that link so that I can check on the result.

There are many email services and providers that will block you from going to a link from an email. It may be necessary to copy and paste the link into your URL bar in your browser if this is the case.

toby379423

Where exactly would I find the link in the admin area?

Eric Mittman

Sorry about that, it is not shown in the admin area as a link, it just gives you the values that are needed in the link.

The link will need to look like this:

http://www.mandyingber.com/UserRegistration100/users_Confirm.php?ID=<the user's id>&code=<the verification code for that user>

In the admin area if you search for a user and look at the details you will see these values, you can then add the values into the link and email them directly.

Looking in my inbox I can see that I did receive the verification email on the 11th. So it seems that the server is sending the emails, but they are just being delayed a little bit.

toby379423

That still doesn't really address the main problem though. People still aren't able to verify their e-mails and here is another e-mail that was received:

I tried 4 times unsuccesfully to provide my contact information in
order to join your website. I am no newcomer to websites, yet I found
it utterly impossible to provide the correct representation of your
security code. Please advise.

This has happened many times and at this point I don't know what else to do except try to find something else that will work without so many issues. Is there anything else you can think of to prevent this from happening?

Eric Mittman

When I test your form I'm able to successfully register, then receive the email and verify my email address by clicking on the link. When I click on this link I'm taken to your users_Confirm page with a message thanking me for verifying my email address and a link to login.

If users are having a problem with getting the emails it may be due to the delay and emails are not being sent immediately. If the users are having problems with the CAPTCHA graphic and cannot enter the details correctly you should update the CAPTCHA settings in your global file to make it more readable. You can adjust the size, the text color, the background color, the font, and the amount of 'visual noise' you see. We have a document on making these adjustments and others in the global file. Here is a direct link to it:

ursp_customizing_globals.pdf

You should make some adjustments to this CAPTCHA to make it more readable for your users. You can do some testing of it yourself by deleting your user from the db and registering as a new user.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...