close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Building an admin site for company inventory

Thread began 2/20/2013 12:39 pm by derekmparker375520 | Last modified 2/20/2013 1:53 pm by Jason Byrnes | 3361 views | 3 replies |

derekmparker375520

Building an admin site for company inventory

I am building a site for a car dealer and the owner wants to be able to add new inventory to the site himself. Each car that they add needs to be listed on the main inventory page and have a link to its own individual page with information and photos for that particular car. In addition to that, the main inventory page(s) needs to be set up to show 6-8 cars per page with columns of basic info (make, model, price, year and mileage) and to where the user can choose to sort them by price, year or mileage. I've seen tutorials on setting up an admin-driven store with Data Bridge and adding page templates with PowerCMS Builder, but I'm not sure which one I should use or if either one would work for what I'm trying to accomlish. Any help is appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You can use the Data Assist wizard to create a Search, Results, Details, Insert, update page set for the main products table.

in the wizard, you can select to have the results page use a grid layout and select how many records to display per page.

after the pages are created, you can add sorting by following the Sortable Links tutorial on the Data Assist support page, it was written for data Assist 2, but is still relevant to Data Bridge.

derekmparker375520

Thanks. Would I be able to use the same thing to create a new details page for each car? If so, is there a way incorporate PowerGallery into the details page so they can upload photos?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the details for each car will be pulled in dynamically from the database. you could use power gallery to create the gallery for the car, in the product table add a column and store the gallery location, then pull the gallery in as an iframe, using the gallery column from the products table

derekmparker375520

I'm just now getting back around to working on this and have a question. I watched the tutorial on how to build and admin-driven store which is what I think I need (minus the PayPal checkout), followed along and it worked just like the tutorial. But I'm not sure how to apply this to my site. Here is the link to the page:

inventory.php

I need the results/inventory listings to show up in the black area with the dummy text, and the detail page to show up here as well once a car is clicked on. How do I go about that?

design445909

PowerCMS

Hi Im having a problem with the CMS. I don't know how to log in. I have created a CMS from an existing website and now i dont have the details to log in, the message i get from dreamweaver is " Could not find admin on site. Browse to the page through CMS admin to edit" Ineed some help here.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

@derekmparker375520

you need to create a recordset to pull in the desired information, than using the bindings panel, you can add bindings from the recordset to display the information on the page, you can use a repeat region to create a loop through the recordset.

@design445909 it is best to create a new thread for you problem rather than hijack an existing one.

the admin username and password are stored in the wa_settings table of the power CMS data base. Use PHPMyAdmin or another SQL GUI Tool to access the power cms database and look at the records in the wa_settings table to find the admin username and password.

derekmparker375520

I'm dangerously close to making this thing work, but have a few more questions:

1) When I upload a product image, it doesn't appear in products_results.php, products_detail.php or in the ImageThumb binding. I noticed that it's uploading to the root folder, is there a way to change this?

2) On my page, I have a recordset created and bindings added to a repeating region with a limit of 12 on a page. When I get more than 12, is there a way to have a "go to next page" option at the bottom? Right now, nothing over 12 shows up.

3) Will the details of the product automatically show in place of where the results are currently showing and how do I create that link?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) In the image upload behavior, you can set the upload folder.

2 - 3) If you use the Dat Assist create pages wizard from Data Bridge to create the search, results and details pages, it will automatically include pagination, and include links to the details page.

see the "Integrating Data Bridge and eCart" tutorial on the Data Bridge support page:
data-bridge/

derekmparker375520

Thanks for the prompt reply as always. I changed the folder in the upload behavior, so the images are now landing in the right spot, but on my actual page with the ProductThumb binding still just has the file name instead of the actual image. Also I used the Data Assist create pages wizard and have all of the pages, but it's just not giving me the pagination.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...