close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Databridge advice needed.

Thread began 2/18/2013 3:29 am by mark402027 | Last modified 2/20/2013 7:23 am by mark402027 | 2517 views | 9 replies |

mark402027

Databridge advice needed.

I am trying to create an update form to show competition results.
At the moment I do not know to achieve this, before I spend many hours learning how to - I thought it might be a good idea to find out if it actually possible with databridge.
I want to create a form that will allow me to select competitors from my database (competitors view) via a dropdown and update the selected records to the results (table).
I had a look at the dynamic dropdowns tutorial and it looks promising but I could not see a way of updating the results in the target to the results table.
I am slowly getting my head around php but it is a steep learning curve.
Thanks for any information.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

How are the competitors and competition tables set up?

You could create what you describe using the Data Assist search wizard, but depending on the table set up, you may need to start with a join query on the results page.

you could create a recordset to return the competitors on the search page, use that to populate the select list that the Data Assist Search wizard creates.

mark402027

Thanks for the reply, I think the easiest way to describe my database is for me to attach a relationships diagram.
I have been using this mySQL (website display purposes) database with an Access front end (for updating) for a while now and appreciate that I might have to modify it somewhat to enable it to be used.
Initially I would like to pick an event(trial) then select dogs and then update that data to the results table. Once I have got my head round that i can look into it further .
Is this something that I can use dataassist for.
Could you explain further what you meant by join query on the results page.

I am not asking for step by step instructions, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
Many thanks,

JamieEff

Hi Mark

Sorry to interject in the thread, but was wondering what the software is that you've used in the screenshot to create the relationships?

Cheers

Jamie

mark402027

Hi Jamie,
Its just a screen grab of the MS Access relationships window.
It can also be done with MS SQL and you can do the same thing with SQLyog for MySQL.
Look for the schema designer.
I don't know if it can be done with phpadmin as I don't use it.
Hope this helps.
Mark

JamieEff

Thanks Mark. Appreciate that.... just another thing to add to the list for me to investigate and learn! lol

atb

Jamie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

A join query is a query that joins related tables together.

Since you used access for generating the screen shot, you should be able to use the access query builder to generate the join query for you.

when you select a trial, pass the trial ID to the results page.

the record set would need to join the TrialsT, TrialsCatalogT, TrialCompetitorsT, and DogsDetailsT and filter on the trialID passed in using the TrialsT.TrialID column.

using the join query will allow you to return the related information for the selected Trial from the DogsDetailsT table.

morte details on join queries can be found here:
sql_join_inner.asp

mark402027

Hi Jason,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Sorry I worded my last reply badly, when using the dataassist wizard it works on a single table or view, I cant find any way to use a recordset. Am I missing something or are you taking about using the join query as a view.
Thanks
Mark

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you wont be able to do this in the data Assist wizard, you will need to modify the recordsets after the pages are created.

mark402027

Ah Haa, Penny drops, Many thanks.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...