close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Spam Email issue

Thread began 2/05/2013 12:12 pm by Kumel | Last modified 2/27/2013 9:25 am by Jason Byrnes | 7800 views | 23 replies |

Kumel

Spam Email issue

I got a form page in my home page..
The entire works fine.. But i get lots of spams from that form in my home page.
www.webbgen.com

I keep getting fixed enteries.. with phone number as fixed and name and email randomized... & in comment box : rq jfs,odd,ugg,gfh,qls,vxu,uuf.,ugg australia,cnldq,nmbgy,,sjsjwtn.himjvdy,ugg,jmm,ubo,ces,dcf?arn,biu,ugg soldes,sth,wsk,qze,rza.

and those above words got links n urls in it..

Looks like someone is trying to hack or something..
They dont visit the website & fill but they r doing by hacking or in some other way..

Please help me out in this..

Is this problem going to be solved if disable entering URL in comment box in the form..? if yes then how do i do it...? like can i get the codes for that?

Please help me on this ASAP

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

do you have server validation on this form.

Make sure you are using server validation, in server validation you can specify that a filed only accept a certain data type. For example, use phone number validation for the phone number field, etc.

make sure that both the server validation and the universal email behaviors use the same trigger.

Kumel

All i have used is spry validation for email (email format)and phone number (phone no format)..
What about the comment field?
Even if i insert a spry validation field for Comment box,. how do i disable entering urls in that text field .

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

spry validation can be disabled by disabling java script in the browser, it should not be relied on for preventing spam.

use server validation instead.

you can use the alpha numeric validation type for the comments field to allow letters and numbers to be inserted, this will prevent URLs.

or you could use regular expression validation.

if you look at the documentation, there is an example of a URL regular expression that can be used.

Kumel

Okie.

This is the 1st time i heard about that.:)
anyways can you tell me how exactly do i do server validation?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

to add server side validation go to WebAssist -> Forms -> Validation -> Server Validation.

Select the validation type, then click the lightning bolt next to server variable and select the form element to validate, then click the plus button to add it to the validation list. repeat for each element you wish to validate.

to show a validation message, type the message on your page and select it. Go to WebAssist -> Forms -> Validation -> validation Show if. select the validation that should trigger the error to show and add it to the list.

add a message for each validation you add to the server validation behavior.

on the data bridge support page, see the "Add server validation to your web forms" tutorial for details.

Kumel

In server behavior panel i cant find this -> WebAssist -> Forms -> Validation -> Server Validation.

Under WebAssist there is only file manipulation, create new email and Utilities...

Kumel

ok no probs.. i got it now.. i had uninstalled security assist so :)

Kumel

So i have added the server validation into the thank you page.. Do i need to remove the spry validation field from the form page?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

does the forms action post to the thank you page?

validation is applied to the forms action page.

only if the form posts to the thank you page should the validation be applied to the thank you page.

look at the form tag and the action attribute.

you don't need to remove spry validation, just don't rely on it for preventing spam.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...