close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Substitute for Mailto: function?

Thread began 1/17/2013 1:09 pm by chuck429411 | Last modified 2/01/2013 8:16 am by Jason Byrnes | 5588 views | 15 replies |

chuck429411

Substitute for Mailto: function?

Can I use Universal Email to make a mailto function? I am finding out that this functionality is outdated and does not work in all browsers. If the user does not have an email client set up, it will not work either. Below is the link to the page that I need to fix. I would rather not have to redesign a whole page and create forms if I don't have to. Can you tell me what the easiest way of doing this is?

contact.php

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You could use universal Email to create a contact form, and have the information from the contact form sent to your email address.

chuck429411

Tips to Get Started?

Does Universal Email make the form for me or do I make one first? Does it get inserted into a div? I have used Universal Email before, but it was used for sending receipts to the customer. I just need to have a simple form with name, email, phone, comments and submit button. Your tutorials need to be updated. I have gone through all of your tutorials and documentation and still have a blank page.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you need to create the form on your page first, then apply universal email.

chuck429411

No mail

Do I need to know the SMTP server info, port number? I didn't need it last time. What about the email object? I created the form and put the bindings where they needed to go. No mail being sent though.

I am previewing in the browser from Dreamweaver and it will not send the email. Unfortunately, I can't put this page live until I get it working properly. The form with Universal Email applied to it is on a duplicate page which is not included on my site. I have attached the code if that helps. Thanks for your help, by the way.

Attached Files
code.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you wont be able to test the email from your local system, the page needs to e uploaded to the remote server inn order to test the email.

chuck429411

Link to the contact page.

OK, here is the live link to the form with Universal Email. Hopefully this helps...

contact.php

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

who is your host?

what dod you enter for the from address?

What did you enter for the to address?

What did you enter for the SMTP Server and Port?

add the following code just before the </body> tag:

php:
<?php var_dump($_SESSION); ?>

it will write information about sending the email to the page, including whether it was passed to the SMTP server.

chuck429411

My host is GoDaddy. I clicked the lightning bolt and bound name to the name field. The "to" address is excontact@rascp.com. I left the smtp and port blank, because that is what I did when I used Universal Email to get Ecart to send receipts.

Also, I got it to send email to my address as a test and my Outlook inbox flagged the message as spam and wouldn't let me read it. I can't get UE to send properly to excontact@rascp.com however.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You don't answer what you used for the From Address?

With Go Daddy, you must a valid email address for your domain as the from address.

you say that the email is being sent to one address, but it is being trapped in a spam folder, that may be caused by the subject line you use, or by the from address or a number of other factors.

for example, if the from address and the to address are the same, the server will treat that as spam and refuse to relay the email message.

if the email is being sent to one address and not others, that is a configuration on the SMTP server that is preventing the server from relaying to that email address.

Universal Email compiles the message, then passes it to the SMTP Server.

the SMTP Server then relays the email to the recipient. if it is relaying for some, then the SMTP Server configuration is causing it to deny the others. you would need to look at the SMTP server error logs to determine why.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...