close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

CSS Menu Writer and Responsive Design

Thread began 11/28/2012 3:04 pm by Rood's Media | Last modified 4/28/2015 3:05 pm by Ray Borduin | 4965 views | 12 replies |

Rood's Media

CSS Menu Writer and Responsive Design

Hi Everyone

I have been using the CSS Menu Writer for a couple years now and have had a lot of success. Now i am faced with a new issue... The menus are pretty much useless on any mobile device (phone or tablet) that requires "clicks" apposed to "Hovers".

Is there a way to make these CSS Menus work with mobile devices using responsive design? Or is there a simple way to edit the CSS to make it more cross-device friendly?

Are there any updates in the works for CSS Menu Writer in the near future?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Mike T, one of our forum members posted the following thread on this topic the other day:
showthread.php?t=29212

nickj

Good start but does not appear to work in Safari on my MAC. This is a much needed update to CSS Menu writer...

NIck

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have submitted a feature request.

MikeyT

Safari doesn't allow you to resize your menu to the point where the mobile media query kicks in. That's why I referenced the browser resizer extension in my original post. Both Safari and Chrome have this problem. Must be a webkit browser thing. Firefox doesn't have this issue. If you view the link I posted on a phone (its intended context), it should work fine.

A lot of time has passed since I first posted that experiment. Looking back, its kinda crappy and not all that useful. I plan to revise it to include dropdown menus and have the entire menu system hide away behind the ubiquitous three line stacked icon, positioned in the corner (a.k.a. the burger icon).

Mike

Mike Perry

Mikey -- have you made any progress in refining your previous efforts?

Not pushing of course -- I know how busy we all are. Would like to incorporate your results in a site we're now building. . .

Thanks -- happy holidays!!

MikeyT

Hi Mike,

I haven't, but thanks for the lighting the fire. I'll see what I can pull together over the holidays and post.

Happy holidays to you too!

nickj

Thanks, that was fast!

Jonas

Have you worked this out? I am also in need of a menu that works in various media (mobile / ipads).

Rood's Media

Adding MW to DW Multiview Media Query Fluid Layouts

Hi Everyone. So I have started teaching myself how to design fluid layouts with Dreamweaver CS5. Traditionally I was doing fixed width 960px layouts and using MW for every design. Now that I am using the DW Multiscreen window and Media Query I am wondering how I can apply 3 different MW Layouts for the buttons on the site?

Working on the issue at 1:30am is probably not a good start… but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

***UPDATE***

I am trying to move on to the Fluid Grid Layouts in Dreamweaver CC. I was thinking I could possibly show and hide 3 menus within the different break points. I have not tried it yet... I am slowly trying to figure all this responsive stuff out and how it will work with all my other extensions and dynamic content. Every example I see online just shows people making random static content.

I would love to see what people have been able to to with the MW extension within a responsive layout.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...