close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Verify one field to another

Thread began 10/29/2012 6:16 am by superpac250441 | Last modified 10/31/2012 11:29 am by Jason Byrnes | 2728 views | 15 replies |

superpac250441

Verify one field to another

Hi there,
I am trying to get validation using Like entry for 2 email boxes to match exactly. For some reason, having followed a previous posting, I just cannot get it to work.
Would it be possible for someone to give me a step by step detailed tutorial on how to go through this process, starting with the settings to be set for each email textbox in form builder.

Much appreciated

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The Form Builder Wizard only allows you to use Like Entry with Password form elements. To verify the email address entry, you will need to add the like entry validation after the form has been created by the Form builder wizard.

In the form builder wizard, add the email address form element and the Confirm Email address form element to the form design.

after the form has been created, open the server behavior panel (Window -> Server Behaviors). In the Server Behaviors list,double click the Server Validations server behavior to edit it.

from the validation type list, select Like Entry. For the Server Variable, click the lightning bolt icon and select the email address form element. Then click the plus button to add the new validation to the list. you will be prompted to select the comparison variable, this time select the Confirm Email element.

superpac250441

Thanks a million Jason. Can you add the steps to show if they are not an exact match.

I have typed in the message next to the Confirm-email textbox, selected it and then clicked validation Show if and selected the like entry Confirm-email. However, when I test it with an erroneous email, nothing happens on send. I have no idea why

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

those are the correct steps. send a copy of your page please so i can see the code.

superpac250441

Thanks Jason, here is the file

Attached Files
CONTACT-FORM.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Instead of editing the existing Server Validation behavior, you added a new one.

you should not add a second server validation behavior. you need to add the like entry validation to the Server Validation behavior that was originally added to the page by the form builder wizard.

superpac250441

Thanks Jason. I have redon the form and followed your instructions. i then added another validation show if but I still cannot get it to work. Please would you be so kind as to take another look and tell me what I am doing wrong - file attached
Many thanks!!

Attached Files
CONTACT-FORM.zip

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What part doesn't work? It appears to be applied correctly? Are you expecting the validation client-side and that is why you think it doesn't work? Please describe what you are doing and your experience when it doesn't work so that I can better understand your expectations. Do you have a url where I can view the page and reproduce the issues?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

superpac250441

Hi Ray. Yes I am trying to apply the validation client-side. I thought I had with the show if saying the emails must match exactly. Obviously I haven't done it correctly. Could you go through the steps to apply client side Ray??
Many thanks, much appreciated

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You'll have to replace the code on line 450 to use confirm validation, so the code:

var Confirmemail_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("Confirmemail_Spry", "none",{validateOn:["blur"]});

would become:

var Confirmemail_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationConfirm("Confirmemail_Spry", "EmailAddress");

Then you would have to make sure to include the confirm validation .js and .css files in the header and upload them to your server.

The easiest way to do that might be to put the cursor on the bottom of your page and go to Insert->Spry->Spry Validation Confirm

Then save the page and it will automatically add the necessary files to the site and to the header. Then you can copy the code added to the header and use ctrl+z to undo the insert. Then paste the .js and .css code back into the header.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...