close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

IE8 error

Thread began 8/06/2009 6:31 pm by neo314 | Last modified 9/16/2009 8:39 am by Jason Byrnes | 6878 views | 10 replies |

neo314

IE8 error

I found that populating the dynamic dropdown was working in FF but failing in IE8. I'm not sure what changed to cause the problem, but turned out to be with the MM_findObj function which was failing leading to:

options.length is null or not an object.

When I replaced that function with the simple:

document.getElementById('setStyle')

Everything worked fine.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I have done a test in IE 8 with a simple page and two select lists on it. When you get this error does it specify which part of the code this is coming from? I do not get this error when I use the tool in IE8. If the update works for you that seems ok but I'm curious why it happens for you in the first place. Do you have a link to the live page?

When you replaced the function call did you do this for all instances of the call or just a single instance?

neo314

The page isn't live yet, so I could pm it to you but I don't want to post it. I suppose it is possible that some other js or css is interfering but I don't know what.

When you get this error does it specify which part of the code this is coming from?  

I'm not sure what you mean. The replacement I made is in the parent select list call to the WA functions.

WA_FilterAndPopulateSubList(shedSizes_WAJA,MM_findObj('chooseStyle'),document.getElementById('setStyle'),0,0,false,': ');

The first failure is at WA_UnloadList, but when I changed the code to condition on if thelist.options, another failure occurred. The element is not being retrieved. It worked fine in FF.

When you replaced the function call did you do this for all instances of the call or just a single instance?  

Again, not sure what you mean, but I think I answered it. I only removed the use of MM_findObj in the parent select list.

Sorry for the delay responding. I have been unavailable.

Eric Mittman

I'm not really sure why you are getting this result, in my testing I did not get the same result. What I'm asking about for 'where the error specifies the problem' is to determine at what point in the code you got the error, like a line number.

Since the page is not live yet it may be best to have a ticket opened so we can post privately. If we can check out the live page and do some client side debugging we should be able to see what the problem is, or at least have a clue about what part of the code is causing the problem.

Please login to WebAssist.com and visit your support history to update the ticket.

Eric Mittman

We were able to look at this in a ticket and it seems that there was some conflicting js code on the page. We were not able to identify the code but on a page with just the select lists it was working without error.

barbara224891

another similar problem

I'm also getting errors in IE8 using dynamic dropdowns. Here's a live page.
profile.php
You have to be logged in to access it. You can use username:newer and password: newer to see it.

It gives "A Runtime Error has Occurred"
Line 313
Error: 'options.length' is null or not an object

There's another wierd thing on this page. On all the other pages on the site, the content is centered in the middle of the page, but this page, though controlled by the same template and stylesheet, shows up on the left in IE. I played around in Dreamweaver with the code I got from reveal source, so the html code generated by the php page. When I clipped out the very long script at the beginning of the page generated by dynamic dropdowns, the centering problem was rectified.

What sort of script is this? Javascript? Shouldn't it specify in the script tag? I'm talking about the one that starts out like this:
<script>
var WAJA = new Array();
WAJA[0] = new Array();
WAJA[0][0] = '6';
WAJA[0][1] = new Array();
WAJA[0][1][0] = '195';
WAJA[0][1][1] = '197 Culver Road';
WAJA[0][2] = new Array();
WAJA[0][2][0] = '196';
WAJA[0][2][1] = '197 Culver Road (3 units)';
WAJA[0][3] = new Array();
WAJA[0][3][0] = '183';
WAJA[0][3][1] = '801 Green Team';
WAJA[1] = new Array();
WAJA[1][0] = '4';
WAJA[1][1] = new Array();
WAJA[1][1][0] = '174';

I have another page (the registration page on the site) which also uses dynamic dropdowns for the same function and that page is currently working in IE8, though it also suffers from the centering problem.

Any thoughts?

Barbara Grosh

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

This is a problem with the placement of the Create Dynamic Array code, it will need to be moved so that it is between the <head> and </head> tag.

in the Server behaviors list, select the Create A Dynamic array server behavior, this will select all of the code associated with it, go to Code view and use ctrl+x to cut that code.

place you cursor just before the </head> tag, and use ctrl+v to past e the code back in.

barbara224891

OK, I tried again. Now it appears that the code generated is complete, but the second array doesn't display any options. You can see the progress at this live page:

profileddtest.php

No need to be logged in.

Thanks for your help.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You have two select lists named teamtype:

html:
<label for="teamtype"></label>
Type of team:
<select name="teamtype" id="teamtype" onchange="WA_FilterAndPopulateSubList(teamsignup_WAJA,MM_findObj('teamtype'),MM_findObj('teamID'),0,0,false,': ')">
<option value="">-- select --</option>
<option value="1">Business</option>
<option value="6">Community/Eco-team</option>
<option value="2">Congregation</option>
<option value="4">Government Agencies</option>
<option value="5">Non-profit</option>
<option value="3">Schools</option>
</select>

html:
<label for="teamtype"></label>
<select name="teamtype" id="teamtype">
<option value="">-- select --</option>
<option value="1">Business</option>
<option value="6">Community/Eco-team</option>
<option value="2">Congregation</option>
<option value="4">Government Agencies</option>
<option value="5">Non-profit</option>
<option value="3">Schools</option>
</select></td>

the second one is causing the error.

barbara224891

Oh, thank you, Jason. Fixed and working beautifully now.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...