close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

problem installing menu writer 2

Thread began 8/06/2009 6:16 pm by segalmedia367166 | Last modified 8/11/2009 4:02 pm by Ray Borduin | 4323 views | 10 replies |

segalmedia367166

problem installing menu writer 2

ok, i finally had all my extensions loaded nicely in a fresh user. i purchased menu writer 2. i uninstalled menu writer 1. i shut dw down. i downloaded file to my computer. i opened up extension manager cs4, i tried to install - i tried about 4 times. i deleted the wincache file, i shut down the extension manager. i re-opened it, i tried to download directly from the webassist site without downloading first - failure! any suggestions? please don't ask me to uninstall all of my extensions - supersuite etc. i have done this and then had to create a whole new user account - more than once.
thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

segalmedia367166

still problems installing menu writer 2

still me, i re-booted my computer, cache file still deleted, tried to install again with no luck! help

segalmedia367166

new user account

ok, i went into a new user and tried to install menu writer 2. it installed no problem. how can i get it to install in the user account that has all the rest of the webassist extensions in it? it really takes a lot of time to uninstall each extension and then re-install. Not to mention that once i uninstall i typically cannot re-install into the same user. HELP

I went to a new user, started installing extensions, some go fine, others do not. I have now spent about 1 1/2 hours trying to re-install what was working so nicely because I upgraded to menu writer 2. HELP

Eric Mittman

In your original post you mentioned that you tried to install it 4 times but you never said what was happening that was preventing you from using the tool, did you get an error message during the install? If not please describe exactly what your experience was with the installation and what was not working.

If you are able to add this to another user's profile on the same machine it may indicate some sort of corruption with the previous users config folder. If this is the case then the only way to get it installed for the previous user would be to delete the config folder which would force you to re-install all of the extensions.

segalmedia367166

problem install extensions

How do I delete the configuration folder - where is it? Is there something that I am doing wrong? This is about the 4 time that I will have to re-install all extensions. I seem to be able to install the first time fine, but once I uninstall an extension of yours, forget it, I have to clear them all out (or create a brand new user). Yes, I do get an error message. Usually something kind of generic like - unable to install extension, contact customer service. It takes at least 2 hours to install all my extensions, getting kind of annoying. Also, I am using menu writer 2. I am finding that it is easier to go into the css after creating rather than back into the wizard. The wizard is doing wierd things to my menu - adding extra levels, adding extra javascript files, adding extra css files (or redundant ones). Again, am I doing something wrong? I don't quite understand how the "current" works. Do I have to add a conditional expression to the source code to make it work?

Thanks,

Lisa segal

Eric Mittman

Your configuration folder may have become corrupted. You can rename the configuration folder to have Dreamweaver recreate it. Close Dreamweaver and go to:

WinXP
-DW8
--C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8
-DWCS3
--C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9
-DWCS4
--C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US

Win Vista
-DW8
--C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8
-DWCS3
--C:Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9
-DWCS4
--C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US

Mac OSX;
-DW8
--Hard disk: Users: <Your User Name>: Library: Application Support: Macromedia: Dreamweaver 8
-DWCS3
--Hard disk: Users: <Your User Name>: Library: Application Support: Adobe: Dreamweaver 9
-DWCS4
--Hard disk: Users: <Your User Name>: Library: Application Support: Adobe: Dreamweaver CS4: en_US

(Please note that <Your User Name> Should be replaced with the User name you use to log into your computer)

Rename the configuration folder to configuration_back. This will have the effect of disabling all of the installed extensions. You should open the extension manager and remove all extensions to clear the extension mangers cache. After removing the extensions you can then reinstall them making sure to download the latest versions from your order history.

NOTE:
On Windows Computers, The AppData or Application Data folders may be set to be hidden.

To View Hidden Folders in Windows Vista:
1) In The Windows Explorer, Click the "Organize" button
2) Select "Folders And Search Options"
3) Select the "View" tab
4) Click the "Show Hidden Folders And Files" radio button.

To View Hidden Folders in Windows XP:
1) On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
2)Click the View tab.
3) Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Eric Mittman

When you are installing an extension and get an error the exact message should help us to determine what type of error is occurring or where to look for the problem. I'm not sure why you would be having problems like this, is there a reason you need to uninstall the extensions after they have been successfully installed? If you are only having problems installing extensions after you have removed them this may be a clue about the problem.

In regards to your issues with CSS Menu Writer wizard when are you getting these types of results with the new levels and css code and js code references? If you only have this problem when editing the menu it may be due to how you are editing it. If you want to make a change to the style of the menu you should use the edit theme option from the property inspector.

For the current option you just need to select the option you would like to have for the current page. I like the 'entire navigation route' option best.

segalmedia367166

current question etc

1. I uninstalled menu writer 1 as per your instructions. Once I removed that extension, I was unable to load menu writer 2. The only way that I find to re-install is to delete the config file (or create a new user). This has happened it seems every time you have an updated extension or I purchase an update.

2. Can you explain how current state is working? How does the page "know" which link should be considered the current page?

Thanks,

Lisa Segal

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It uses javascript to compare the page referenced in the link to the page open and sets that items state.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

segalmedia367166

still not quite clear how to use current state feature

Your message -

"When it comes to using the current page feature you only need to edit the theme of the current menu. On the design tab you can control the current page highlight option through the current tag. I would suggest using the 'show entire nav route' option to easily identify what part of the site and what page you are on.

When I visit the site you posted I can see that the top nav all has the # specified for the href, you will need to have the navigation configured to go to the various pages in order to see the effects of the current behavior."

Can you expand on the:
When I visit the site you posted I can see that the top nav all has the # specified for the href, you will need to have the navigation configured to go to the various pages in order to see the effects of the current behavior.

I am not sure exactly what you need me to do as far as nav configuration.

Regards,

Lisa

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...