close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Create a secure simple online directory

Thread began 10/04/2012 11:23 am by thehalpeen319342 | Last modified 10/18/2012 11:50 am by Jason Byrnes | 4196 views | 21 replies |

thehalpeen319342

Create a secure simple online directory

Dear Jason, one area I've had difficulty getting to grips with in Web Assist, is creating a directory. I want to create a simple online telephone directory of customers for the staff in my office. My PA and two other staff members by logging-in could add, update delete, search for items in the customer database. The rest of the staff could log-in to search and view.

I have two databases - administrators (3 users with username and password in this database) and customers. Where to I do this- Data Assist or Security Assist.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Use security assist to create the login system, it sounds like you dont need registration since the users are already registered, so in the security assist wizard, dont select to create the registration page.

then use Data Assist to create the public directory search, results and details pages - for the public pages, don't create the insert and update, and dont select the option to include the delete button.

then run the data assist wizard again to create the admin pages that include the insert and update.

use security assist to protect those pages.

thehalpeen319342

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

thehalpeen319342

Ok. I've run the Security Assist Wizard based on the Administration Table which contains all the staff usernames and passwords. I've run Data Assist Wizard based on the Customers Table. I've run The Data Assist Wizard again but based on the Administration Table this time. My question is - How do I put it all together - so that some staff members in the Administration Table can view, update, search and delete from the Customer Table and the rest of the staff in the Administration Table can just log-on to view and search the Customer Table?

thehalpeen319342

Security Assist - Authenticate User

Dear Jason, I’m following on from my posts above where I am preparing a simple on-line directory with restricted access. At the moment, I cannot figure out ‘Security Assist-Authenticate User’.
I can use Dreamweaver’s Insert Data Objects to easily set-up the login form (see login_Dreamweaver.jpg)
I can use Dreamweaver to restrict access to pages – (see Restrict_Access_Dreamweaver,jpg)
But if I use Security Assist – well it seems more complicated. And the worst thing is you can’t mix and match – ie set-up the Login pages with Security Assist and the ‘restrict access pages’ with Dreamweaver .
When I use Web Assist, I can set-up the login page - see attached ‘Web Assist Authenticate User.doc’. However, I have no idea what to do with the restrict access page – see attached ‘WA-Access Page.jpg. – How do I set-up rules? When I click the help button, nothing appears in the browser.
Just to note, I have successfully set-up the log-in page created with Form Builder, and assigned Security Assist log-in behaviours – everything is connecting to the database and working . However, I am unable/ don’t know how, to create any rules in relation to Page Access.

Attached Files
Web Assist Authenticate User.pdf

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If you use the security assist wizard rather than creating the login manually, it will create the access rule for you. along with the user update, login and logout page

If you want to create the login manually:
on the last page of the security assist authenticate user behavior, it is storing the id column value to a session variable named "id"

if you open the bindings panel, and expand the session collection, you should see a binding there named "id".

Open the security assist Access rules Manager (Modify -> Security Assist -> Access Rules Manager) and create a new access rule.

Click the allow radio button
For the value, click the lightning bolt icon and select the id session variable binding
Set the criteria to "<>"
and leave the compare to value blank

this basically says:
Allow if the id session is not empty

only if the user is logged in will the id session variable not be empty

thehalpeen319342

Jason, regarding your earlier 4 instructions (No 2 of this thread) - I'm still confused. 1.What table do I run the Security Assist wizard on - the admin table - with the staff usernames and passwords or the customers table - with the details of the customers?

2. What table do I run the security Assist wizard on - the admin table - with the staff usernames and passwords or the customers table - with the details of the customers?

3. What table do I 'again' run the Data Assist wizard on - the admin table - with the staff usernames and passwords or the customers table - with the details of the customers?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

for security assist, you use the staff table, the table that contains the username and passwords that will be used to login.

when you create the data assist pages, you will use the Customers table, this is the table you want to display data from.

you are using data assist to display the data from the Customers table, and using security assist to create a login system based on the username and password stored in the staff table.

thehalpeen319342

ok, thanks - I'm getting there - but it's excruciating! Thanks to you, I'm beginning to understand. I think I have it working. There seems to be a problem with logging out - I have a page called 'admin_LogOut.php' and it seems to do nothing- doesn't end the session. Leave it with me - I think I need a break.

The next question is let's say I change the customers table to members table - so now I have an 'admin table' and a 'members table' - how do you allow those members in the members table to login and edit say their details in 'members_Detail.php' ? Does that make sense?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

did you install Cookies toolkit? The logout function requires cookies toolkit to be installed.

after you install cookies toolkit add the Clear Session Variables behavior. Open the server behaviors panel, click the plus button, and select WA Cookies -> Clear Session Variable.

set the trigger to before page load, and set it to clear all sessions.

for the members, don't create a separate table. use the same table, but use User Level authentication to give different access rights to different users.

see the User Level Authentication tutorial on the Archived Documentation section of the security assist support page.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...