close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Not all fields created in User Insert pages?

Thread began 9/28/2012 7:54 am by Peterson Design Studio - jefferis | Last modified 10/03/2012 7:24 am by Jason Byrnes | 3032 views | 13 replies |

Peterson Design Studio - jefferis

Not all fields created in User Insert pages?

hi, I have a user database (users) that includes an optional column for Dealer_ID. I used DA to create a User Insert set of pages, but the forms did not automatically add the Dealer_ID field to the set of pages. It created an insert user page, which is what I needed, but not the field for the dealer ID. The subsequent pages for update or list, also are missing this field. Because DA a now uses Spry as well, I am unsure of how to add these fields properly to the pages, how to ensure that these fields will be posted to the user database, etc, and how to assure the minimum values for inserted for username and password, as required on the login pages.

If I use insert record on the page, it seems to create a different set of form fields than the spry set, so I wasn't sure if it would be overlooked.

Little help please.
Thanks
Jeff

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the Data Assist create pages wizard, you need to edit the Insert / Update page settings to include all of the fields you wish to have on your page.

if you wish to add a field after running the wizard, you can add a standard form element, or add a spry element through the insert -> Forms menu. After adding the form element to the page, edit the insert or update record server behaviors to bind the new form element to the corresponding table column.

Wizard doesn't modify available fields

Wizard doesn't seem to modify the fields.... see video:
waQEjk8Ye

The audio didn't come out. I tried this also from a no preset table and it wasn't showing the dealer ID either. Maybe I'm missing where the wizard area is, but I don't see the DA wizard listed under the Webassist menu. Search wizard yes, but not a global pages wizard. You can see in the video that the Dealer ID field is there, but it does not appear on the actual pages...

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

on the manage pages tab, click on the insert page in the lsit of pages, then click the pencil icon under it to make changes to the insert pagfe and add the Dealer ID column to the page.

same for the update page.

Security Issue

Also, there is a security issue. When Inserting or updating a user, WA doesn't check to see if the email already exists in the database. If it does, this value should not be allowed.
Say someone registers or updates their account with a competitor's email address. Then wouldn’t UE send out the customer information to the fake user?

Insert should not allow duplicate emails in different accounts, and updates shouldn't allow that either.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

On the manage pages tab, in the Configure fields section, select the email address column and check the "Validate unique Column value" option

How do you modify existing pages?

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  On the manage pages tab, in the Configure fields section, select the email address column and check the "Validate unique Column value" option  

I've run into 2 problems. I have added the validate unique value and re-run the create pages wizard for the Administrate users. The first problem is that the search form now requires an email address, which I don't want to require for search, only for inserting new person, just to check for unique value.

The second, on another set of previously created pages, I have a registration form, but I don't see a way to modify the existing pages to add the unique validation to it because there doesn't seem to ba an update pages option in the manage pages. When I try to select pages to modify, the option is greyed out.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the configure fields tab, you must have set that email column to be required.

Send a copy of the serach and results page, and i can tell you how to remove the validation.

the Create pages wizard cannot be used to edit pages, it can only be used to create pages.

To add the Unique Column validation to pages that are already created, you will need to edit the Server Validation server behavior, from the validation type, select Unique column value.

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  In the configure fields tab, you must have set that email column to be required.

Send a copy of the serach and results page, and i can tell you how to remove the validation.

the Create pages wizard cannot be used to edit pages, it can only be used to create pages.

To add the Unique Column validation to pages that are already created, you will need to edit the Server Validation server behavior, from the validation type, select Unique column value.  

Thanks Jason. So there is no way to apply updates to existing pages, even though there appears to be a place to target them? The greyed out option is confusing.

Attached Files
Peterson.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

on the search page, delete the following line:

var UserEmail_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("UserEmail_Spry", "email", { isRequired:false , validateOn:["blur"]});

and on the results page, delete this one:

php:
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidateEM((isset($_GET["UserEmail"])?$_GET["UserEmail"]:"") . "",false,1);

To edit existing pages, you need to use Dreamwever and edit the server behaviors.

The Create pages wizard can only be used to create pages.

Dreamweaver is the editing environment.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...