close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Clarification on E-Cart Tutorial ( Integrating with Data Bridge)

Thread began 9/06/2012 9:51 am by axisbold2k2 | Last modified 9/06/2012 2:32 pm by axisbold2k2 | 1050 views | 2 replies |

axisbold2k2

Clarification on E-Cart Tutorial ( Integrating with Data Bridge)

I have a question on the above titled tutorial. Step #5 below says delete the FORM tag around the detail page. Are you saying to delete all of the FORM tag and code?

Here is the code I have:

<form class="DetailsPage DetailsPage Basic_Default" id="Details_Basic_Default" name="Details_Basic_Default" method="post" action="<?php echo (htmlentities($_SERVER["PHP_SELF"], ENT_QUOTES)); ?>">
<fieldset class="Basic_Default" id="Details">
<legend class="groupHeader">Details</legend>

Should I delete all of the code within opening FORM tag?

Update the Product Detail Page
Now it's time to add your Add to Cart button to theProduct Detail page that was created earlier. This will allow users to buy your stuff.

1. Open the product_detail.php page
2. Select the Add to Cart button that is currently on the page
3. Delete the button

*****4. Remove the form tag around the detail page
eCart buttons include their own form tags, so the existing tag would have created conflicts*******

5. In Code View, place your cursor within the WADADetailsButton div
6. Click Insert > WebAssist > eCart > Add to Cart Button
7. Click on Look up item ID from recordset
8. Set the Recordset to WADAProducts
9. Set the ID Column to ProductID
10. Type cart.php in the Go to page field
11. Click the Bindings tab
Here we're going to set the values for the product details so the correct product is added to
the cart.
12. Click Name from the Column list
13. Click the Dynamic Data (lightning bolt) button next to the Default value field
14. On the Dynamic Data dialog, expand the Recordset (WADAProducts) field
15. Select the ProductName variable
16. Click OK
17. Click Description from the Column list

Thanks,
HLJ

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

just delete the form tag:

<form class="DetailsPage DetailsPage Basic_Default" id="Details_Basic_Default" name="Details_Basic_Default" method="post" action="<?php echo (htmlentities($_SERVER["PHP_SELF"], ENT_QUOTES)); ?>">

and the closing form tag:
</form>

axisbold2k2

e-cart tutorial

thanks for the help.

doug425125

I also found this part of the tutorial confusing. Thanks for asking the question and for the answer Jason. It would be nice to add this clarification to the tutorial so that other users might not have the same issues understanding this..

DB

doug425125

More clarification please

I've been going through the Integrating Data Bridge and eCart tutorial. It has been helpful, but also frustrating to follow along with at times.. I have gone through this several times, and hopefully you can provide some clarity Jason..

Here are my issues:

Create your Product Administration pages
These pages will allow you to add new products to your database, and manage existing products.
1. Click WebAssist > Database > DataAssist Pages in the menu bar 2. Select Product Administration from the Application Type list 3. Ensure the database connection you just made is selected from the Connection list
4. Check the Create the database table for me checkbox if it isn't already checked The steps above only created a connection to a database, but nothing within them. This will create the needed table within the database that we connected to above.
5. Click Finish to make the pages 6. Close all pages that were opened

Create your Product Catalog pages
These are the pages the users will see. This is what we link with eCart later.
1. Click WebAssist > Database > DataAssist Pages in the menu bar 2. Select Product Catalog from the Application Type list 3. Ensure the database connection you just made is selected from the Connection list 4. Check the Create the database table for me checkbox if it isn't already checked 5. Click Finish to make the pages 6. Close all pages that were opened

Following these steps in the Tutorial creates two Product Tables in the database. (Products for admin and Products_2 for Users)

The pages for the "Users" that are created also contain the ability to delete records in the corresponding database tables.

Now it's time to add your Add to Cart button to the Product Detail page that was created earlier. This will allow users to buy your stuff.
1. Open the product_detail.php page 2. Select the Add to Cart button that is currently on the page 3. Delete the button 4. Remove the form tag around the detail page
eCart buttons include their own form tags, so the existing tag would have created conflicts
5. In Code View, place your cursor within the WADADetailsButton div 6. Click Insert > WebAssist > eCart > Add to Cart Button 7. Click on Look up item ID from recordset 8. Set the Recordset to WADAProducts
9. Set the ID Column to ProductID 10. Type cart.php in the Go to page field 11. Click the Bindings tab
Here we're going to set the values for the product details so the correct product is added to the cart.
12. Click Name from the Column list 13. Click the Dynamic Data (lightning bolt) button next to the Default value field 14. On the Dynamic Data dialog, expand the Recordset (WADAProducts) field 15. Select the ProductName variable 16. Click OK 17. Click Description from the Column list 18. Click the Dynamic Data (lightning bolt) button next to the Default value field 19. On the Dynamic Data dialog, expand the Recordset (WADAProducts) field 20. Select the ProductLongDesc variable 21. Click OK
Update the Product Detail Page22. Click Thumbnail from the Column list 23. Click the Dynamic Data (lightning bolt) button next to the Default value field 24. On the Dynamic Data dialog, expand the Recordset (WADAProducts) field 25. Select the ProductImage variable 26. Click OK 27. Click Price from the Column list 28. Click the Dynamic Data (lightning bolt) button next to the Default value field 29. On the Dynamic Data dialog, expand the Recordset (WADAProducts) field 30. Select the ProductPrice variable 31. Click OK 32. Click OK to add the button 33. Save your pages

Using the tutorial steps, the admin pages will update or edit and add products to the Product table, which is not the table, nor the recordset that the "Add to Cart button" will access. It points to WADAProducts_2

I may have missed something here, but the tutorial seems to either have some omissions or incorrect direction as to setting up the "create database table for me" options when setting up both the admin and the user product catalog, in addition to the "users" created pages adding destructive editing capabilities to the database.

I have followed the tutorial step by step, because I have little knowledge as to the operation of eCart 5 working with Data Bridge.. two excellent products.

Thanks for any help in this matter..

DB

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The second section for creating the catalog pages should not have you creating a new database table, you should be selecting to use the table that was created for the admin section.

Also, you should go to the Manage pages tab and edit the Results and Details pages to uncheck the Include Delete Button option.

I have forwarded this to the documentation department to have them make the necessary corrections, thank you for pointing this out.

doug425125

Thanks for the reply Jason

Thanks for the reply Jason. I'm happy to help. I'm quite sure I'll be back for more assistance in eCart and Data Bridge integration, as I have a deadline for an online store coming up. Good to know you are here to help..

DB

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...