close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Group Access

Thread began 9/04/2012 8:04 am by s.joiner74419001 | Last modified 9/11/2012 11:31 am by Jason Byrnes | 1441 views | 12 replies |

s.joiner74419001

Group Access

I am wanting to create a members area for our site which is for a property management company. The members area will be separated into different sections for each particular property (block of flats) the company manages. An access code (password) will be unique to each section and will be supplied to all residents of their property (block of flats). Residents of each block would have to register but would not create a password as it will be supplied, which brings me to my first problem. As the password is supplied, When A resident registers, they will select their property from a menu list which will be relative to the password for that particular block. How can I get relative password to the password field, which I assume could be a hidden field.

So to clarify. Once a resident has registered they will login and be directed to their designated restricted area for their block of flats.

I have looked at the 'User Level Authentication' tutorial but I can't work out how I would adjust this method as my requirement is not really for tiered access.

I hope I am making sense with this... Please help!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I'm not sure i understand completely what you are asking.

this still seams similar to user level authentication as you say the user will chose the block of flats they belong to. Same concept really as belonging to flat block 1 or users authentication group.

s.joiner74419001

Group Access

This post has been deleted.

s.joiner74419001

Group Access

I have currently created the security pages... I did not include the password field in the registration page because as I said before we do not want each user to have their own password as I want to have a password for each block which I thought could be created by admin. So I have tried some dummy registrations and I update the user database and entered a password into the user tables password column. But when I try a dummy login it does not recognise the password.

Am I complicating the issue here? Please help

s.joiner74419001

Group Access

another thought.. If I had a menu dropdown on the registration form where the user chose their property (block). Could this then send the correct password to the database even though there would not be a visible password field on the registration form?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

whether you specify the password manually, or let the users enter there own, the password field needs to be included when the pages are created so that the login page knows which column to treat as the password.

you certainly could also set the password field as a drop down select list like you mention.

s.joiner74419001

Progress

Hi Jason,

I'm starting to get to grips with the 'User Authentication' and have set up different access rules for different sections. these rules are associated with a 'group_id column' in the database table. I am now linking all the pages together. Ideally I would like the user to be re-directed to their appropriate section after login, which will be determined by their group_id. Is it possible to re-direct users to different sections depending on their group_id?

At the very least, I just want to able to re-direct the user to secure page after login.

Hope you can help!

Cheers!

s.joiner74419001

re-direct from login

OK I've sussed out how to re-direct to another page after login, but still would like to know if I can re-direct to different pages depending on their 'group_id'
Cheers!

s.joiner74419001

group access

Hi Jason, this is where i'm at...

I have created a session variable 'group_id'

group_id is the column in the database table that holds the access codes that we manually enter once someone has registered. There is one of these codes for each block. We know which code to enter by referring to the property selected from the menu list in the registration form by the user.

I have created an access rule for each property/block that will have its own secure area on the web-site.

each rule's session value is 'group_id' which compares to the correct code for that particular secure area.

My first question is... Is there some way I can prevent form having to manually enter the codes once they have registered? Because the user selects their property form the menu in the registration form, is it possible the correct code to be passed to the 'group_id' column, wether it be from a database or maybe a hidden field in the form.

I hope this make's sense. I have attached some screenshots which might help the cause!

Attached Files
screen_shots.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the select list, set the value of each selection to the access code, then in the insert record behavior, bind the group_id column to the select list.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...