close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Registation Form for the international market

Thread began 8/05/2009 3:50 am by info374606 | Last modified 10/15/2009 2:26 pm by Eric Mittman | 6486 views | 11 replies |

info374606

Registation Form for the international market

The first problem is that the registation form in the User Registration Solution Pack is geared toward the US market, so anyone filling in the Telephone, ZIP and State form fields with European or other telephone numbers, 4 digit zip codes and State (N/A) will keep getting very annoying error messages.

I would like to know how I can disable the validation on these form fields so that they can be filled in honestly. At the moment, the registration form can be made to work by filling in any old rubbish that meets the validation criteria but not with the honest tel. zip/post code and State.

I would like to remove the drop down menu for State and replace it with an empty "State/county/region" text box without validation.

As Webassist sells to a global market, I would like to know if their script writers have produced a registration form that is aimed at the global market. This would not be a hard thing for your script writers to produce but for us mere mortals, having to adapt the User Registration and User Profile forms for non US subscribers is a real pain and waste of time.

Secondly, the validation email link does not work, i.e. it is not hyperlinked. It only works if I copy and paste it into my browser.

Please find me solutions to these problems that do not involve me buying more Webassist products that are needed to solve the problems I have with the Registration Solution Pack.

Thank you

Laszlo Lipot

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

When it comes to the validations these are on the page toward the top, the validations start with this line:

$WAFV_Errors = "";

You can remove any of the validations here for any of the form elements you do not want validated. Once you have removed the validations for the field you can modify that field without any other effects.

You will also need to remove the spry validations, toward the bottom of the page you can find the spry validations, you will need to get rid of the validation for the field, the find the spry message near that form element and get rid of it, the message should be in a span tag that has a class that ends in RequiredMsg.

If you are interested in putting new validations on the page you will need to make use of the Validation Toolkit but it is not needed to remove the current validations.

michaelf0199272

What if I do not what to disable any form attributes, but would like other conditional statements such the:

if selected country [NOT] USA, ignore Zip
else ZIP = NA

endif

Q: What do I need to do to make it more flexible for other countries NOT, USA?

Eric Mittman

If you are not validating the zip code field then it is ok for the users to leave it blank. If you want to conditionally validate the zip field depending on weather they entered US you could just add your custom if statement around the validation code for the zip. You would look for the posted country and if it is equal to US then you would run the validation for the zip, otherwise leave it as it is. Here is an example of what this would look like:

php:
if(isset($_POST["UserCountry"]) && $_POST["UserCountry"] == "US"){

$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidateZC(((isset($_POST["UserZip"]))?$_POST["UserZip"]:"") . "",true,true,true,true,true,18);
  }

pm388969

In aggreement with Laszlo

Originally Said By: info374606
  As Webassist sells to a global market, I would like to know if their script writers have produced a registration form that is aimed at the global market. ... User Registration and User Profile forms for non US subscribers is a real pain and waste of time.  

Yep, bought this to use on a site that is trying to get travellers to our region from all over the world <http://www.africa.co.ls/MWS.html> and didn't realise that this product was going to be so US-centric. The effort to make the necessary changes, remove the phone formatting then testing that I haven't broken anything means this has been a bad purchase decision.

Can I humbly suggest you tell future purchasers that this is NOT an out of the box solution for non-US sites.

Peter Marsh

pm388969

E-mail link code

Originally Said By: info374606
  Secondly, the validation email link does not work, i.e. it is not hyperlinked. It only works if I copy and paste it into my browser.  

Spent a little time on this one (coz it was another issue I hadn't bargained on) and this seems to work.

Edit the registration.php code to add the necessary html code to make the link clickable:

<p>Please follow the link below in order to verify this email address:</p>
<p>
<?php echo '<a href ="'.$WAGLOBAL_Root_URL.'users_Confirm.php?ID='.mysql_insert_id().'&code='.$_SESSION['randomConfirm'].'">'.$WAGLOBAL_Root_URL.'users_Confirm.php?ID='.mysql_insert_id().'&code='.$_SESSION['randomConfirm'].'</a>'; ?>

Peter

FrankJay

International User

Greetings

I am also experiencing difficulty as an international user from SA. As a person living with quadraplegia, typing is a major time consuming mission and the reason for using extentions & solution packs. Anyway... I am following thread in the hope of a rapid solution.

i have deleted the following as suggested by Eric.

$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidatePN(((isset($_POST["UserPhone"]))?$_POST["UserPhone"]:"") . "",false,true,true,13);
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidatePN(((isset($_POST["UserFax"]))?$_POST["UserFax"]:"") . "",false,true,false,14);
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidateRQ(((isset($_POST["UserState"]))?$_POST["UserState"]:"") . "",false,17);
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidateZC(((isset($_POST["UserZip"]))?$_POST["UserZip"]:"") . "",true,true,true,true,true,18);

---------

i am not to sure what of the following block of code to delete to remove spry validations:

<th>Phone Number:</th>
<td><span id="sprytextfield4">
<input name="UserPhone" type="text" class="WAATKTextField" id="UserPhone" onBlur="if (document.getElementById('PhoneServerValidation')) document.getElementById('PhoneServerValidation').style.display='none';WAValidatePN(document.forms[0].UserPhone,'- Invalid phone number',false,true,'x (xxx) xxx-xxxx',document.forms[0].UserPhone,0,true)" value="<?php echo(ValidatedField("usersRegistration","UserPhone")) ?>" size="32" />
<span class="textfieldRequiredMsg">A value is required.</span><span class="textfieldMinCharsMsg">Minimum number of characters not met.</span><span class="textfieldMaxCharsMsg">Exceeded maximum number of characters.</span></span>
<?php
if (ValidatedField("usersRegistration","usersRegistration")) {
if ((strpos((",".ValidatedField("usersRegistration","usersRegistration").","), "," . "13" . ",") !== false || "13" == "")) {
if (!(false)) {
?>
<span class="textfieldServerError" id="PhoneServerValidation">
Please enter your phone number. </span>
<?php //WAFV_Conditional users_Registration.php usersRegistration(13:)
}
}
}?></td>

Pls advise what exact code to delete. Any assistance is appretiated.

I do own SuperSuite (although not used much) and would like to know if there are any extentions i could use to make the changes required much easier and more quad friendly?

Frank

Eric Mittman

I will try to give some more specific steps to remove the validations. I'm using the four you mentioned.

phone
remove the server validation

php:
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidatePN(((isset($_POST["UserPhone"]))?$_POST["UserPhone"]:"") . "",false,true,true,13);

then remove this spry validation

var sprytextfield4 = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("sprytextfield4", "none", {validateOn:["blur"], minChars:7, maxChars:20});

then the onblur event for this form element

fax
remove this server validation

php:
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidatePN(((isset($_POST["UserFax"]))?$_POST["UserFax"]:"") . "",false,true,false,14);

remove this spry validation code

var sprytextfield5 = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("sprytextfield5", "none", {isRequired:false, minChars:7, maxChars:20, validateOn:["blur"]});

then remove the onblur event from the form element

state

php:
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidateRQ(((isset($_POST["UserState"]))?$_POST["UserState"]:"") . "",false,17);

remove this spry validation

var spryselect1 = new Spry.Widget.ValidationSelect("spryselect1", {validateOn:["blur", "change"]});

then remove the onblur event from this form element

zip

php:
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidateZC(((isset($_POST["UserZip"]))?$_POST["UserZip"]:"") . "",true,true,true,true,true,18);

remove this spry validation

var sprytextfield8 = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("sprytextfield8", "none", {validateOn:["blur"], minChars:5, maxChars:10});

then remove the onblur event from the element

You can remove the server validations and regular client validations that are applied to the form with the validation toolkit or the new CSS Form Builder. For the server validations you would edit the server validations server behavior, find the validations in the list and remove the ones you do not want. For the non spry client validations that are applied you can just select the form element and in the behaviors tab of the tag panel select the validation and remove it.

To remove the spry validations you can select the form element and see it's spry validation tag, then go down into the spry script code and remove the line for that spry field.

FrankJay

Further assistance

Thank you Eric for your detailed and prompt reply.

I have carried out the instructions freely well to a point where I'm a little unsure about which option to take. I am specifically referring to the bottom text instructions just below the last "then remove the onblur event from the element."

I have the new CSS Form Builder extension installed and would prefer using the extension to carry out the changes I require. Just briefly reading the "modifying an existing form..." It instructs to first prepare your form by removing the server validations and all " validation show if behaviours " before using the extension. This means that I would probably have to re-configure the required validation from scratch. Is this safe?

The last paragraph referring removing the spry validations from selecting the former element is somewhat unclear for me. Please elaborate with an example of the spry script code.

Your assistance and additional suggestions is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Greetings, Frank.

Eric Mittman

If you are using the CSS Form Builder you can safely remove all of the validations that are occurring on the form and create your own with Form Builder.

To expand on what I mentioned about removing the spry validations is that the spry validations have their own labeling that does not correspond to the form elements name.

For example on the user registration full page the first form element is the email address. If you click on this field you will see a bluish colored tab around the element. In the tab you will see information about the spry validation including the validation name for that form element. For the email field it is sprytextfield1.

So to get rid of the corresponding spry code for this element you would look at the spry script code that starts near line 866. In this list of spry validations you would find the one that matches the element and remove it. So if you wanted to remove the spry validation for the email field you will need find the entry for sprytextfield1 in the list of scripts and remove that one.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...