close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Sales Tax + Paypal Standard

Thread began 8/14/2012 11:34 am by barkmail | Last modified 8/24/2012 1:06 pm by Jason Byrnes | 4429 views | 12 replies |

barkmail

Sales Tax + Paypal Standard

Hello.

I am trying to set up Paypal Standard to apply Sales Tax to my online orders when shipping to California.

They tell me that the ecart program overrides their program and I need to disable sales tax within ecart for their sales tax program to work.

I have the checkout function embedded into my cart.php program which I have attached for your reference.

Would you tell me how to do this? Please note...I am not a programmer....

thank you.

Attached Files
cart.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

according to paypals documentation, the tax settings in your profile will only be over ridden if t a tax amount is passed by the cart.

In the cart page you have sent, there is nothing to over ride your profile tax settings. there is no code to pass a tax rate that would override the settings in your profile.

barkmail

Here is my challenge...California SALES TAX.

I would need the customer to identify somewhere that they are shipping to California. This is the only state where I have to charge a sales tax (8.25%).

Paypal has told me that they only can accept a SINGLE address. For some reason, both the ship to and bill to addresses are not accepted by paypal standard.
I would love for this to be incorrect information from paypal and to be able to use the standard ecart checkout forms.

When I try to upload two addresses (bill to and ship to) to paypal standard, it works OK when the customer is a PAYPAL CUSTOMER. This is because paypal already maintains the bill to information for their customers, and the ship to address from ecart is used properly.

HOWEVER, when the customer uses a CREDIT CARD, the ship to address is used as the bill to address. THIS IS A PROBLEM.

So..WHAT I NEED IDEALLY is to have the standard ecart pages and paypal standard shake hands correctly and have the bill to information AND the ship to information pass properly and get assigned properly within paypal. I have spent many hours with paypal trying to make this happen.

OR LESS IDEALLY...
Use the modified cart.php page I have that includes the checkout code programming (to bypass the ship to/bill too page within ecart to reduce customer redundancy and confusion)and let paypal assign the tax. But to do this I apparently need to disable the ecart tax (according to paypal). This is my most current path.

OR

Add a drop down field within my ecart's already modified cart.php page for the customer to identify the ship to state

OR

Is this a more elegant solution that I am missing?

AND

Am I being mis-informed somewhere along the line?

What do you recommend? I want to keep the customer redundancy down.

I also would like to not have so many software modifications. I would ideally like to use the ecart standardized pages and have them work within paypal.
Help...

Thank you.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

This is a limitation to the way the paypal standard system works.

The paypal standard system does not allow for passing the shipping information.

the work around is to use the checkout wizard to create the checkout pages, the checkout page will collect shipping and billing information, and pass it to the confirm page.

I eCart, you can set the tax Calculation to charge based on the selected shipping state, this can be set while running the wizard, the confirm page will then pass the transaction to the paypal site including the tax rate.

barkmail

Thank you for confirming that Paypal standard does not accept ship to info.

Therefore, it is redundant for the customer to enter the ship to info into ecart EXCEPT to see if tax needs to be collected - as the customer would have to enter that info into Paypal anyway.

So. Doesn't it make sense for me to put a drop down menu of "ship to states" on my "cart.php" page (I only need to know what state they are shipping to, not the full address) allowing ecart to do the tax calculation, and therefore the customer doesn't have to go through 2 more unnecessary pages?

OR

Does it make sense to let paypal calculate the sales tax (they have this provision).
To do this I need to disable the tax info within ecart so that paypal doesn't see tax info trying to be passed to them.
They tell me that the shopping cart's tax program always overrides their tax program.

Which scenario would be better for me? And, could you walk me through making that happen?

Thank you for your time.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you could put a drop down list of the ship states on the cart page, you would need to add a new form, to the page, and make sure the form is not inside the cart display form when the ship state is selected, they would need to submit it, then you would need to store the selection in a session variable.

It is very similar;ar to adding a coupon code system, except instead of creating Discount based on the session value, you create a tax rule based on the session value.

We have a tutorial on the eCart support page for creating the coupon code system that will give the basic background on how to do this, it is really the same concept:
ecart/

look in the archived documentation section, it was written for eCrt 4 but the steps ae the same for eCart 5.

barkmail

Not finding this tutorial as a title...
Can you let me know which tutorial contains creating a coupon code system?

I have the pull down menu on the cart page now, but it is not adding the tax in yet. Hoping the tutorial helps with that.

thanks

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

it's in the archived documentation section of the eCart support page. it's titled "Creating a Coupon system for your eCart store"

barkmail

thank you Jason

I have put in a form to select state and submit button. I also modified the ecart tax tab settings. Something is not be quite correct. On the web page I see the state select list, but when I select California, no tax is applied.

I am trying to establish 8.25% tax to be charged on California only deliveries. No tax to be charged to all other states.

Would you take a look at my ecart tax tab and see if the fields are defined correctly (triggers)?

Also if you could review the session value and see if that is set up properly for the Select Ship To State form?

Thank you again!

Attached Files
cart.zip

barkmail

OH!

How would I make the selection of Ship To State selection mandatory prior to submitting the order?

Thanks again.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...