close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

nested sites with Power CMS

Thread began 7/18/2012 12:38 pm by mrsam5266 | Last modified 7/18/2012 1:17 pm by Jason Byrnes | 1032 views | 3 replies |

mrsam5266

nested sites with Power CMS

I have a situation where two sites are hosted on the same server at GoDaddy. The second site is held in a directory and it's domain name is directed to that directory to pick up its index.php file. A few months ago I did a redesign for the client and added Power CMS to the site.

I am now doing a redesign on their main site (this one is hosted in the root directory) and they want Power CMS added to this site also.

I built the site as I normally would and have it up on a test server running with Power CMS.

The problem comes when I try to move everything to their server.

I have setup a separate database for the new (root hosted) site and transferred the tables from the test server. When I first accessed the site the Power CMS admin prompts came up to set up the SN and a user but after this it seems that the database for the other site is being picked up. When I log into the admin panel all I see are listings for the other site's content areas and the pages display no content in the new site.

Should I have used the same data base for both sites and if so how do I setup all the additional files and directories the Power CMS creates so they are shared by both the root hosted site and the secondary nested site?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

This isn't going to work out very well.

Power CMS isnt designed to have multiple instances in the same site, which is what you are trying to accomplish essentially, even though you have different domains, it's still the same site.

you would have one CMS instance installed to the root site that is used by both the root and sub domain.

mrsam5266

Thanks Jason,

So to clean this up it sounds like I will need to setup a new database and completely strip all the Power CMS code from the sites and start things over. Add CMS to the root site then just add the content access code to each page of the subdomain once the Power CMS system is working.

If there is anything that can shortcut having to completely strip all that code out I would be thrilled to know about it but I'm not holding my breath.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Sorry, but there wont be a shortcut way to fix this.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...