close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DA Search Wizard scope?

Thread began 7/18/2012 8:37 am by gary.brett434358 | Last modified 7/25/2012 7:46 am by Jason Byrnes | 1554 views | 5 replies |

gary.brett434358

DA Search Wizard scope?

Hi there, I need to create a quick data reporting page on my site. Has anyone any examples of what the DA Search Wizard can achieve, I didn't want to spend days testing to see if it can do what I needed?

My requirements are quite simple I think? I have a query with 6 columns displayed in a dynamic table. In the header of each column I would like to have a drop down containing the data in each column, I could then filter by columns 1, 3 & 6 for example?

If that is not possible would the search wizard allow me to create a search form with drop down fields for all 6 columns, submitting this would return a results page filtered?

Is this possible with DA search wizard?

Many thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

"In the header of each column I would like to have a drop down containing the data in each column,"

I'm not quite sure i understand the use of the menu in this description.

But for the second option, Yes, the search filtering would be possible, it would require creating separate recordset to feed each drop down menu.

gary.brett434358

Hi Jason, for the second option I have 1 query that contains all the columns I want to search on eg; CaseID | Advisor | Month | Status | Source | Commission

Could I not point the wizard at each of these fields within 1 recordset or would I need to duplicate the same recordset 5 times?

In my testing I have done this;
1 - create new php page, create the recordset with all fields required and insert into dynamic table.
2 - Run the wizard choosing this recordset & mysql, opt to create new search form.
3 - When I am prompted to select fields to add to search it seems to have pulled through all fields from every table rather than the basic 6 from my recordset.
4 - I push on and choos finish, this creates a new search form.
5 - Running this gives me a select field as chosen but with no data in, when I look at code its just a basic form with a simple select, no other code?

Am I missing something, do I need to create the search form manually and add all search code to it?

Thanks

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

"1 recordset or would I need to duplicate the same recordset 5 times?":

you only need to use one recordset.

"When I am prompted to select fields to add to search it seems to have pulled through all fields from every table rather than the basic 6 from my recordset."

The search wizard will allow you to search on all the columns in your table, not just the ones that are returned by the recordset.

"Running this gives me a select field as chosen but with no data in, when I look at code its just a basic form with a simple select, no other code?"

You need to populate the select list with the values to search.

This can be done using a recordset or by populating the list manually

gary.brett434358

Hi Jason,
sorry for delay have been working on other things and not much time to try this out. My problem is I have created a crosstab style mysql query with custom columns which do not exist in my tables.

For example my crosstab query takes a date column, formats it to 'MONTHNAME' then displays it across the table left to tight as columns. I then want to run a search lets say from Jan to Mar, because I cant use the recordset in search wizard I don't know where to point the select inputs?

Advisor | Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May
Gary 10 6 78 89 43

From table above the search would return only columns Advisor | Jan | Feb | Mar

Will the DA wizard not allow this, I imagine its quite a common search parameter? I have attached the 2 created pages if it helps?

Thanls

Attached Files
search.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The Data Assist Search wizard works only with the columns in your data base, not with the aliases you create in your table, The Search Wizard will not work with your cross tab query

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...