close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

USPS Shipping

Thread began 7/17/2012 9:29 am by BjB | Last modified 7/20/2012 1:45 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2560 views | 17 replies |

BjB

USPS Shipping

Help setting up the USPS Shipping options to use dynamic data by choosing the dynamic data button in the checkout wizard. So I can set different methods of shipping for different products.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Can you give some more details on what you are trying to accomplish?

Your description is a little sparse, I need some more details in order to answer the question correctly.

BjB

Ok, when I start the eCart checkout Wizard and go through the steps for Accept credit cards and Paypal, then select Paypal Website Payments Standard. I then enter the Paypal Member ID, next I Make sure the box is checked for "I will provide shipping and I select USPS as the Shipping provider. (Not sure what to enter into Base rate and Per item rate but can worry about that later.) Then I enter the User ID: for USPS account (I called USPS to set this up and the connection is working).

Ok, here is where I am having trouble with the next few fields. The next choice is "Service type", and it is a drop down list with the choices of First-Class, Express, Priority, Parcel, BPM, Library and Media. The next drop down box is "Default International" that also has a list of items to set as the default International. There are also drop downs for Package Type, Package Size and so on. For each one of these Drop Down boxes there is a Dynamic Data button next to the box which I assume would allow each drop down to be set up using dynamic data so that shipping can be unique for each part listed in the parts table.

I have fields set up in my parts table for the Service Type drop down box , Default International as well as several of the other drop down boxes.

My problem is I can't figure out how to connect the dynamic data using the buttons and make it specific to each part.

Each of my parts ships differently because they ship to different places and are all different sizes, so going through this wizard and simply choosing from a drop down list makes everything ship for one flat rate of $11.35 which is completely wrong.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the USPS Shipping service wont be able to calculate a different service type for package type for differant items in the cart.

You would need to hand code this to accomplish what you are asking

It would require creating code that would look through the items in your cart, and for each shipping type in the cart, perform a rate lookup, then add them all together at the end.

If you need help creating this, i would suggest signing up for a premiere support appointment where wee could assist you.

The Shipping service and shipping type can come from a dynamic source, but they are applied to the entire cart, not individual products in the cart.

for the package dimensions, you would need to have a cart column for height width and length. in the add to cart button behavior, bind the cart column to the height width and length column of your products table

In the shipping settings, you can select a separate box for each item, using this setting, you can bind the height width and length to the appropriate cart columns.

BjB

The Shipping service and shipping type can come from a dynamic source, but they are applied to the entire cart, not individual products in the cart.  

I see. Well, this still might work. Can you show me how to set the Shipping service and shipping type so that it comes from a dynamic source?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

what dynamic source would you like it to come from?

It's really just a matter of selecting the correct binding, but "Dynamic source" is a very broad category.

BjB

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  what dynamic source would you like it to come from?

It's really just a matter of selecting the correct binding, but "Dynamic source" is a very broad category.  

I have a table named kitstbl which is each individual part that has a Shipping Service and Shipping Type field. Would that work? selecting the correct binding is what I am having the most difficulty with.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

but how are you going to determine which service type to use?

BjB

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  but how are you going to determine which service type to use?  

Exactly my point! There is a dynamic button available to choose dynamic data for Shipping Service and Shipping Type, can you show me how they are designed to work?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you could use a form on the checkout page to allow the user to chose the shipping service, this would set a session variable on the confirm page that would be used for setting the shipping service in the behavior. that is the most common scenario.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...