close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Results page updates very slow in Dreamweaver

Thread began 8/03/2009 2:10 pm by troyd | Last modified 11/10/2009 12:51 pm by Jimmy Wu | 4917 views | 7 replies |

troyd

Results page updates very slow in Dreamweaver

I have created several other pages in DataAssist and it all works great. But for some reason, on this current project I have a results page that takes forever to work on.
It has to be something I am doing wrong or have set incorrectly because all the other pages are just fine. These were originally created as an admin section using the DA 2.0.5 wizard.

While working on the results page in Dreamweaver CS3 Mac OSX, it gives me the spinning beach-ball or just pauses. This happens every few seconds or if I click anything. I don't have to make a change. If I highlight a .div, it spins the ball, if I highlight a server behavior in the list, it spin the ball. And if I do make a change, it spins for several seconds before I have control again.
This is driving me crazy. I have looked through preferences and I do not see where I have something set incorrectly, but it has to be me.

I can open the insert.php page, or the update.php page and work very fast on them. But the result.php page takes forever. I know it's heavy with server behaviors, but I have other sites that have similar pages that do not do this.

Any thoughts?

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

Like you mentioned the server behaviors can sometimes cause the page to function slowly when you are editing it if there are a lot of them on the page or if they are complex queries taking place.

Do you have a template applied to the page? If so try making a copy of the page and detaching the template to see it that helps with things. You can also try making some edits with some of the panels closed, like the application or files panel and maybe the property inspector. Also having lots of Spry objects on a page can cause it to have delays when loading and editing.

Since the other DataAssist pages are not having this problem it seems like it may be something to do with the functionality on this page. Please post back with this info and if you do not get any further I will open up a ticket for you so we can look at the files and help you work this out.

troyd

Update

Ok, I finally figured out what is causing my painfully slow DA pages when editing. Though I am still puzzled as to why.

I know this is going to sound impossible but it has something to do with a stylesheet created by DA Wizard. But I have heavily altered it. And I have not yet created a new project from scratch to test it in it's original form.

What I have done is make a copy of the Results page in a CMS. It was my slowest page during editing.
I began deleting behaviors, with no improvements. I had removed all behaviors and all php code and it still spun the beach ball every time I clicked anywhere.

Finally a I started deleting styles. Once I trashed the "Traditional_Pacifica.css" link, it was like night and day. So I opened up my original Results page full of several server behaviors and tons of PHP. As always, it began to crawl. I highlighted the "Traditional_Pacifica.css" and clicked trash. BAMB!, it was once again running at full speed in edit. I tried to get the beach ball to spin and couldn't.

So now I'm puzzled. I don't have any external image links in the styles. But I will scrub through and look for something.

One note, this is only 1 of 4 stylesheets attached to this page. The others create no problems.

Thanks,
Troy

troyd

OK, this just keeps getting weirder. I found the 1 style in that stylesheet that is causing all these problems. It's the WADAHorizLine. You know the one that makes all those little dotted lines?

.WADAHorizLine {
height: 1px;
background-image: url(../images/Pacifica/Traditional_hline.gif);
background-repeat: repeat-x;
}

At first I thought that maybe something happened to the gif file and it was a huge files size, but no. Any thoughts?

This is for sure causing the problem for me and I can live without that style or create my own easily. But after 3 months or so, of dealing with this I would like to figure out what's going on. I'd be happy to send files to WA tech if they want to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
TroyD

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

what happens if you change:
background-image: url(../images/Pacifica/Traditional_hline.gif);

to
/*background-image: url(../images/Pacifica/Traditional_hline.gif);*/

does the page load faster or the same.

I'll start a ticket so you can send us a link.

troyd

Jason,

Yes, I commented out that line and it fixes the problem. Just that line is all it takes.

Thanks,
TroyD

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have asked for a link to see the problem in the support ticket I created.

I'm wondering if the link to the file image is broken, and the server is taking it's sweat time to timeout on retrieving it.

Jimmy Wu

We were unable to reproduce the issue on our end, but if anyone runs into the same issue, it looks like there is a workaround for it.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...