close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Upload and resize image

Thread began 6/29/2012 3:17 pm by msummers194171 | Last modified 9/24/2013 1:17 am by Charles | 3253 views | 17 replies |

msummers194171

Upload and resize image

How does this work with Data Bridge? I have a form with a file field that will be used to upload images for a gallery, but I want the image being uploaded to be resized as it's uploaded.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The recommended technique is to actually not resize as it is uploaded, but use image resizer to resize on demand.

Imagine if you had thousands of images uploaded and resized to fit a particular design and then decided to alter the design slightly and needed a new image size, or wanted to offer more than one gallery view with different image sizes. If you resize on upload that could be a real pain.

By using image resizer, if you decide to change designs later you can just change the image dimension and an optimized image will be created and cached the next time the page is viewed. You get all of the benefits, but you won't be stuck with the size you originally resized to.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

msummers194171

Ahh - thanks for that, Ray. So I would use resizer on my gallery page to fit the dimensions desired?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That is correct. Upload the full sized image and store the location in your database. Then use image resizer on any page you want the image displayed, like the gallery page.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Ian S

Ray,

Good point.

How would this work if you stored images in a database?

If you went to delete a record that contained an image, how would it know what the file name of the Image Resizer file was to delete it?

Cheers
Ian

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

At this time, there is not a way to delete the cached images, though this is a feaature we hope to implment in the future, though I cannot say exactky when this feature will be available.

msummers194171

I want to make sure I understand because I have a similar question to Ian. I am using a dynamic photo gallery, so there really is no image on the page when I open it in DW. It seems that image resizer will resize the image to fit within its container, so what I need to do for this dynamic gallery is to make sure that the dynamic image is placed within a sized container, and then apply the resizer to that dynamic image tag?

So, each time the image tag changes source, the resizer will kick in?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, that is correct.

based on the src of the image tag, and the height and width settings, image re sizer will automatically create a new copy of the image using the image tag dimensions.

msummers194171

Here's the problem - the gallery is a javascript-based gallery. The image placed in that location is written to the page interactively. Since resizer is based on server scripting, it cannot possibly affect these client-side image determinations, right?

Have I answered my own question?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

it may be able to do this depending on how the gallery is created.

most galeries load the image in a hidden image tag.

can you send a link to the gallery you are using? this will give us more info on how possible it is to use Image resizer.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...