close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

eCart Basics

Thread began 6/26/2012 11:43 pm by Daryl | Last modified 6/27/2012 8:48 am by Jason Byrnes | 1378 views | 1 replies |

DarylBeta Tester

eCart Basics

I am looking to create my first eCart site, I have owned this extension for years but have never used it yet as it seems a complicated and lengthy process from start to finish.

I am intending on using the ecart database supplied by WebAssist to get me going.

I will need Products, Product Details, Multiple Categories and Product Options, all of which I believe eCart and the database can handle. (Not to mention orders, carts and the like).

I have read the Getting Started Guide but this starts off with the purchasing aspect which assumes that you have pages setup to deal with adding, updating and deleting products.

I have both Data Bridge and Design Extender so have the necessary tools to do this, but dont know where to start with creating pages to accomplish this. Where do I start with creating pages to Add, Update and Delete Products, Product Details, Multiple Categories and Product Options?

Have I missed some documentation or tutorials somewhere?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you would use Data Assist to Create pages for managing the different tables in the database

Run the wizard to create pages for managing the products table.

and again to create set of pages to manage the categories table.

The eCommerce database structure is created in a way that allows a One to many relation between products and categories, meaning that a product can belong to only one category.

another set of pages would be needed to create options groups (color or size for example)

and another set to create options and assign them to the groups.

On the products pages, you would use the manage relational table behavior to update the productoptions linking table that is used to create the many to many relationship between the options and products tables.

dDog

Needed: Single products with Multiple Categories

I see that the eCommerce database structure prevents multiple categories:

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  The eCommerce database structure is created in a way that allows a One to many relation between products and categories, meaning that a product can belong to only one category.  

What is involved in modifying the structure of the database to allow single products to appear in more than one category?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

use a linking table similar to the productoptions table

productcategories:
productcategoryID - primary Key
productcategoryProductID - relates to producs.productID
productcategoryCategoryID - relates to categories.categoryID

dDog

Thank you for the hint. You suggest we should create a new table called "productcategories" which relates to the "categories" table, similar to the method which the "productoptions" table relates to the "options" table.

We would then have to change from a simple drop-down category selection in the productinsert and productupdate pages to a new page where the user can select multiple categories, like they would for options, which would be assigned to the product.

I am not sure how to link the tables together to allow a single product to have multiple category assignments.

Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

use the manage relational table behavior to allow the admin to assign multiple categories to product.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...