close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Trigger Data Assist Behaviours with Rules

Thread began 6/18/2012 1:50 pm by Ian S | Last modified 6/19/2012 8:38 am by Ian S | 888 views | 6 replies |

Ian S

Trigger Data Assist Behaviours with Rules

Hi Guys,

Running DW5.5 on Mac OS I have just tried to create an Insert Behaviour based on a Security Assist rule.

Basically, the plan was to update a record only if the user level was a 'Super Admin'.

I was allowed to select the security rule from the drop down list for the trigger, I set all the settings and bindings but the OK button would not work.

If I changed the trigger to a standard, before page load, or form submit it worked.

Is there an issue with triggering the DA Behaviours with WA Rules?

Cheers
Ian

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I would suspect code order, the update is probably before the security assist code.

it would be better to use a standard form trigger, and just restrict access to the page for only supper admins.

using supper admin as the trigger, it will try to perform the update on page access, not just when the update button is pressed.

Ian S

Thanks Jason, yes thats what I did in the end.

I don't think it was the code order though, it was the actual behaviour GUI itself that I was having problems with. I was able to select the WA Rule from the drop down list but the OK button did nothing with a rule selected. If I selected the other triggers then the OK button functioned correctly. I don't think that is the code order on the page is it?

Cheers!
Ian

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

code order could definitely effect this.

If the require once line for the security assist files that define the Super Admin user group come after the update code, the update would never be able to trigger.

however, if the security assist require once line comes before the Update code, the update will trigger on page load if logged in as Super Admin regardless of the form being submitted.

Using a security assist rule as the trigger for an update will not give you the desired results. I don't recommend it.

Ian S

Hi Jason,

Sorry, I think I am being poor with my explanation.

My problem isn't / wasn't the execution of the code on the page, its a problem with the Data Assist Interface.

The OK button doesn't work when I select a WA rule. It only works when I select something like before page loads. So basically when I have a WA rule selected as a trigger I can't commit the changes I have made in the GUI to the code.

Its the fact that the OK button doesn't do anything in the behaviour window. It doesn't close it or commit my changes to the code.

If you need any more info I will do you a video to explain.

Cheers
Ian

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

ahhhh, <gru>Light bulb...</gru>. ok, I get it now. I'll log this as a bug, but in reality, it's not a good idea for the reasons already explained.

Ian S

Sure, I agree with you on the reasonings as to why its bad practice :-)

Thanks Jason!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...