close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Validation Toolkit 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 = Fail

Thread began 8/02/2009 12:41 pm by ccooper309155 | Last modified 8/18/2009 10:30 am by Ray Borduin | 6837 views | 12 replies |

ccooper309155

Validation Toolkit 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 = Fail

Using CS4 and ASP VB

A week or so ago using 2.3.5 , I updated the validation on a page that was originally created using 2.3.2 or 2.3.3.

All it did was completely mess up the validation, wrong forms, wrong everything. Tried and tried again. I'd have it right and save it then when I tried the page it didn't work right. When I opened the Toolkit again, all the code was messed up again.

So I removed 2.3.5 and installed 2.3.4 (which I had never used) -- and same problem.

I wound up fixing it in DW8 using 2.3.2.

Today I created a brand new page for a different site that lives on a different server using 2.3.4 -- and got the same haywire result!!!!

Clearly these patches are a mess!

Looks like I'll have to fire up DW8 and 2.3.2 again.

I've never seen any WA extension behave so weirdly.

Sign in to reply to this post

ccooper309155

Here is one example of what it does:

It changes frmAdd.Box into forms[0].Box

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The new version of Validation toolkit uses the Javascript forms[] collection instead of referring to the form by name.

this is because the xhtml strict doctype does not require a name for a form, only an id.

Can you post a link to a page that is not working? We can examine the code on the page and most likely determine what is going wrong.

ccooper309155

The pages are all ones that require user authentication, but more than that, I fixed them all with 2.3.2 in DW 8, so there are no pages with problems to share.

That said, I don't see what good it would do as the toolkit is messing up the code as it writes it. Looking at bad code as opposed to the writing of same can't help determine why it's doing it, can it?

When I get a chance, maybe I will create a virgin page for you to look at.

BTW, the non-remembering log-in procedure here is a real PAIN IN THE ASS.

I hate having to look up my pwd every time.

Why don't you guys listen to your customers?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

By looking at the code that does not work I can determine why. once we can determine what is wrong in the code, it may shed some light on why the code is being written incorrectly.

I have tested on forms I created using earlier versions of validation toolkit and then updating the code with version 2.3.5 and did not run into a problem.

Looking at the code that is failing is the first step to determining why the code is not being generated properly.

keith505

Same problem here...

Having similar problems here with the latest version of Validation toolkit on ASP/ VB. When I go through the validation wizard, everything seems fine. When I go back in, everything is renamed forms[0].Field1.... all validations apply to the first field, even though they were connected to other fields. Everything is named after the first field.

I am a 6 year WebAssist extension user and I literally use your extensions everyday. The latest release of Validation toolkit for ASP/VB is messed up. If you say you have tested it and don't see a problem, you are not testing it thouroughly. Also, referring to forms without the proper form name is onbviously appropriate...but what will happen if a user adds/removes a form above the one with validation.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have just retested to see if I could reproduce the problems you describe in 4 different forms that where created using validation toolkit 2.3.2 then edited using 2.3.5. Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce a problems.

in my latest attempt, I created a form in an asp page with 4 text fields. Using the Client Validation wizard, I applied Required / Not Blank Validation to all for of them.

I tested the page and validation worked correctly.

I then uninstalled 2.3.2 and installed 2.3.5.

Using the validation wizard, I applied Alpha Numeric Validation to the first 2 fields.

I tested the page and validation worked as expected.

I am attaching a copy of the page with validation 2.3.2 and 2.3.5.

If there is a problem in Validation toolkit, we very much want to fix the issue, perhaps you could provide the steps you followed to produce the problem?

If a form is added or removed then validation will need to be reapplied. The change to using the forms collection was made to be in line with the XHTML Strict document type. In XHTML Strict, the forms name element is deprecated, forms cannot have a name.

Attached Files
validationExample.zip

keith505

May have found problem

I may have found the problem. The pages I seem to be having trouble on are the pages that have an include file with a form at the top of the page (a search field and button for instance). When I create/edit a form in the main file (not the include), Validation Toolkit gets messed up. I have tried this on several sites, and this happens every time. When I run Validation toolkit on a plain Jane page with no includes, it is fine.

Thanks,

Brian

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It probably has to do with the way the Validation Toolkit is referring to the form in client side validaitons. It uses the numeric index of the form like document.forms[0]. If you then add an include above it that includes a form it throws off the form reference so that it needs to become forms[1]. You may be able to do a find and replace "forms[0]" for "forms[1]" to update the form references so that it will work with a form above it.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

keith505

That could be one issue, but I don't think it is all.... it seems the include form throws of Validation toolkit in some way, because after I run the extension, the field names are all named after field 1... EXAMPLE 1 (before), EXAMPLE 2 (after)

EXAMPLE 1 (Before 2.3.5 was run)

onsubmit="WAValidateRQ(document.InsertForm.Title,'- Title is Required',document.InsertForm.Title,0,true,'text');WAValidateDT(document.InsertForm.StartDate,'- Invalid Start Date',true,/\b(1[0-2]|0?[1-9])\/([12]\d|3[0-1]|0?[1-9])\/\d{4}\b/,'','','',false,/.*/,'','','',document.InsertForm.StartDate,0,true);WAValidateDT(document.InsertForm.EndDate,'- Invalid End Date',true,/\b(1[0-2]|0?[1-9])\/([12]\d|3[0-1]|0?[1-9])\/\d{4}\b/,'','','',false,/.*/,'','','',document.InsertForm.EndDate,0,true);WAValidateRQ(document.InsertForm.Location,'- Location is Required',document.InsertForm.Location,0,true,'text');WAValidateEL(document.InsertForm.Title,document.InsertForm.Description.value,'- Description contains more than 500 characters',0,500,'',document.InsertForm.Title,0,true);WAAlertErrors('Please correct the following:','',true,false,false);return document.MM_returnValue">

EXAMPLE 2 (After 2.3.5 was run)

onsubmit="WAValidateRQ(document.forms[1].Title,'- Title is Required',document.forms[1].Title,0,true,'text');WAValidateDT(document.forms[1].Title,'- Invalid Start Date',true,/\b(1[0-2]|0?[1-9])\/([12]\d|3[0-1]|0?[1-9])\/\d{4}\b/,'','','',false,/.*/,'','','',document.forms[1].Title,0,true);WAValidateDT(document.forms[1].Title,'- Invalid End Date',true,/\b(1[0-2]|0?[1-9])\/([12]\d|3[0-1]|0?[1-9])\/\d{4}\b/,'','','',false,/.*/,'','','',document.forms[1].Title,0,true);WAValidateRQ(document.forms[1].Title,'- Location is Required',document.forms[1].Title,0,true,'text');WAValidateEL(document.forms[1].Title,document.forms[1].Title.value,'- Description contains more than 500 characters',0,500,'',document.forms[1].Title,0,true);WAAlertErrors('Please correct the following:','',true,false,false);return document.MM_returnValue"

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...