close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Preventing duplicate usernames

Thread began 6/01/2012 7:07 am by iainmacdonald331081 | Last modified 6/05/2012 9:53 am by Jason Byrnes | 3378 views | 13 replies |

iainmacdonald331081

Preventing duplicate usernames

I've been trying to remember how to prevent duplicate usernames being added when users register / update their profile. Its working in my registration page, but realised I haven't applied it in the profile update page.

Am I right in thinking I should be able to apply a Unique Field Value validation somewhere?

I've been looking by highlighting the field in the form, and selecting:

WebAssist > Forms > Validation > Server Validation

And then Validation Type.

But I don't see Unique Field Value - am I looking in the right place?

Also, how does this work when a user updates their profile? When a new person registers, as long as the username they choose does not already exist in the users table, it will be OK.

But if an already registered user is updating their profile, then their username will exist in the table. In that scenario, will the form update OK if fields other than the username change, but the username does not?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

there is a unique field validation type included with security assist 2, make sure that security assist 2 is the last extension installed, installing form toolkit or form builder after security assist will remove that validation type.

in the settings for the Unique DataBase value, there is an option to set the key field and key value, on the update page, set this to use the security assist User ID session, this is used to allow the user to re use their email address on update.

iainmacdonald331081

Thanks - I was running SA 2.0.2 and also Form Builder and Form Toolkit. I uninstalled all three, downloaded and installed SA 2.0.5 but am getting an error in DW CS5.

I get the error :

The following translators were not loaded due to errors:
The following JavaScript error(s) occured:
Unable to open script file "Macintosh HD:Applications:Adobe Dreamweaver CS5:Configuration:Shared:WebAssist:FormValidations:Library:WA Trans Share.js" (error 2).

I get stuck with that error and the prompt to enter the serial for the extension (which looks OK), but then can't close either dialogue boxes so am a bit stuck at that point.

I've looked in the the .../Shared/ folder, and there is no /WebAssist/ folder in it.

Mean anything to you guys?

(I'm just uninstalling SA again, but its taking ages.)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

to correct the error, reset the workspace layout.

go to Window -> Workspace Layout -> Reset '<Your layout name>'

iainmacdonald331081

That didn't work.

I uninstalled SA, then reinstalled it. Opened DW, reset my Workspace layout, then tried using the extension. Same error.

Do I need to Uninstall SA, open DW, reset workspace layout, close DW, reinstall SA, try again?

Or some other particular order?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

did you try Deleting the Dreamweaver Cache file from the users configuration folder:
common_installation_issues.php

also, make sure to install the extensions in this order:
Form Toolkit
CSS Form Builder
Security Assist 2

iainmacdonald331081

Just uninstalling again. I know I uninstalledForm Toolkit and Form Builder before SA. But possibly not in that order. Looking in that folder, I don't see any MacFileCache.dat file though.

iainmacdonald331081

Uninstalled SA again.

On opening DW I get the error:

Unable to find the WA_SiteTools_ProgressV2@.htm in the Configuration/Floaters directory. The floater will not be shown.

(The folder exists and contains WA_SiteTools_Progress.htm)

Then:

Unable to find file com.htm in the Configuration/Floaters directory. The floater will not be shown.

Then the one about the WA_Translation.js file.

Then:

Unable to find file CHOMBACKEND.htm in the Configuration/Floaters directory.

Then:

Unable to find file WA_SiteToolsV2.htm

After all that, closed DW, found the .dat file. Deleted it. Installed SA again. Opened DW again...

Still the same error and stuck as before....

iainmacdonald331081

Would it help to uninstall every WA extension?

The ones I've accumulated over the years, and currently have installed for DW CS5 are:

CSS Button Styler - 1.0.0
Skype Button - 1.0.2
Tools for Google - 2.0.3
Validation Toolkit - 2.3.5
Validation Tooltips for Spry - 1.0.1
PalettePicker - 1.0.4
Cookies Toolkit - 3.1.2
HTML Editor - 3.0.1
Universal Email - 3.0.7
Digital File Pro - 1.1.3
CSS Sculptor - 3.0.1
CSS Menu Writer - 2.0.5
Data Assist - 2.0.7
eCart - 5.0.3
Security Assist - 2.0.5
Dynamic Dropdowns - 2.7.4
WA eCommerce Recipes - 3.0.0

If I uninstall them, is there anything else I should look to delete from anywhere, and if reinstalling is there any particular order that would be better, or any to leave out if they're now part of something else?

iainmacdonald331081

I have now uninstalled every WA extension, and reinstalled:

Form Toolkit
CSS Form Builder
Security Assist

Deleted the .dat file.

Opened DW, and the file I was working on.

Went to WebAssist > Forms > Validation > Server Validation

Prompted for Form Toolkit serial.

Enter correct serial.

Get:

Unexpected error: 14
Activation cannot be completed, and to post here....

Same error with Security Assist.

I was able to Activate Form Builder though.

Having activated Form Builder, I still get the error with Security Assist, but am not even able to enter the serial for Form Toolkit now.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...