close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Manual Credit card processing

Thread began 5/31/2012 4:24 pm by barkmail439219 | Last modified 6/02/2012 10:00 pm by Christopher West | 2827 views | 6 replies |

barkmail439219

Manual Credit card processing

I need to set up the checkout process so that my customers can enter in their credit card information, and then I will manually enter their information into my cash register at my brick and mortar store. How do I set up this type of checkout system?

I plan to purchase a dedicated server and SSL license once all has been tested to insure my customer's security.

Sign in to reply to this post

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

I beleive you need to be registered in some way to being able to legally store card details. you should seek legal advice on this. one website link touches on the subject: pci.php

and if you were to store card details you would not only need a good quality SSL certificate but you would need to also encrypt the data (simular to how passwords are encrypted)..it is all easy to do but you would need to seek proper legal advice. otherwise you can be liable.

Chris

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Like Chris has already stated, there are legal ramifications to take into consideration. The major payment gateways put a lot of time and money into making sure that there servers are PCI Compliant in order to process transactions.

If you want to process the cards manually, you will end up having to put the same time and money into your servers PCI Compliance. an Alternative would be to capture the customers phone number, and call them to process the order over the phone, this way there is no need to store the credit card number.

barkmail439219

Credit card processing with no gateway

Currently, I use Justaddcommerce to capture my customers' credit card information. I do not use a payment gateway to actually make the transaction. I receive notification that an order has arrived and I access from JAC the order details including the credit card information. I then process the order through my cash register by typing the credit card number in - which my cash register system is secured.

I have very low order volume.

I am looking at the folks who house my server right now, and they offer a secured server system and will purchase a SSL certificate for me.

So you fear that this might not be viable as a solution? If it is OK...can I set up ecart to accommodate?

hmm my oppinion is this. what your asking is easy to set up and accomplish...that woudlnt be the issue...what IS the issue is tiy need to confirm what your doing is LEGAL - to hold someones card details (even if you have a secure server with SSL etc) Im sure you need to be registered with an institution. I could be totally wrong) - but you dont want to risk anything that can cause you more headaches right, especially when it comes to the law.

I dont know too much about this, but Im simply guessing that even though you may have a secured server holding card details is a bit more full on...look at what happened to SONY last year with a hacker hacking into their servers..a massive corporation like Sony they have ultra expensive servers etc and can handle massive lawsuits etc. but for small, to medium size businesses could be a different story.

Chris

barkmail439219

thank you for your time and direction.

I have signed up for the Paypal Standard.

things have changed in the 13 years since I first set up my e-commerce site. then you had to pay the monthly fee and high set up cost for a gateway...

Thanks again!

I would recommend using PayPal Express (it's free like Standard but it has far better flexibility and makes ecommerce more robust since its a realtime payment system. (PayPal standard isn't realtime) to set PayPal express up you will need API credentials (you can get these after logging into PayPal account and just look up API) in the ecart wizard select PayPal pro. Then you just need to remove a few bits (such as as credit cars firm on the checkout page).

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...