close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

shipping options

Thread began 5/17/2012 7:42 am by johna1964 | Last modified 7/18/2012 6:58 am by johna1964 | 1888 views | 6 replies |

johna1964

shipping options

Hi,

I would like the customers to have the options to choose usps first class shipping or flat rate shipping.

I have been searching for a step by step from start to finish, finding bits and pieces here and there, so I have some idea of the steps needed, but still not sure how to go about this.

I currently use the flat rate option applied through the wizard and do not want to redo the cart pages again if at all possible and without connecting through the usps api - so ecart would figure amounts based on the weight column of the products table in the database and the ecart object shipping tab settings.

I'd like to add a drop down list on the cart page with the correct option amount changing to the amount whether it be first class or flat rate. The selected option would then show on the confirm page.

I hope this makes sense. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

johna1964

Sign in to reply to this post

johna1964

okay..

let me ask you this...

with ecart 5.0.5 - if I redo the cart using the usps api, will it automatically generate the usps options they offer?

thank you!

johna1964

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Redoing the checkout and adding USPS shipping will add the Shipping rule to eCart and the code to perform the shipping rate lookup.

you will need to manually add a select list for the customer to choose the falt rate or USPS shipping

add a select list to the checkout page:

php:
<select name="shippingOption" id="shippingOption">

<option value="Flat Rate">Flat Rate</option>
    <option value="USPS">USPS</option>
  </select>

and a hidden form element on the confirm page with the other hidden elements of the same name to capture the value posted from the checkout page:

php:
<input name="shippingOption" type="hidden" id="shippingOption" value="<?php echo((isset($_POST["shippingOption"]))?$_POST["shippingOption"]:""?>" />

then add a session variable on the confirm page. go to the Server behaviors panel, click the plus button and select eCart -> General -> Set Session Value. For the trigger and the value, click the lightning bolt icon and select the shippingOption form element. set the name to "shippingOption"

then in the eCart object, add a trigger to your flat rate rule:

based on session Variable value:
If the session variable "shippingOption" is "=" a value of "Flat Rate"

in the USPS rule, add a trigger:
based on session Variable value:
If the session variable "shippingOption" is "=" a value of "USPS"

johna1964

You are awesome!

johna1964

Questions?

I reran the ecart wizard some time ago. I ended up deleting the USPS server behavior and going back to the flat rate shipping.

I would still like to include these shipping options (Flat rate; USPS) as long as I can do it correctly.

Is there anyway to put the shipping options onto the cart page instead of the checkout page? Then a shopper would be able to compare the best way to go. How do I go about doing that?

Also, reinstall the USPS realtime lookup... what I would need to do is open the confirm page and in the server behaviors panel select the plus button and select eCart -> Shipping -> add the US Postal Service rate lookup?

Thank you!

johna1964

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, the shipping cannot be shown on the cart page. The shipping address is not known until the customer fills in the checkout form. USPS cannot calculate the shipping without knowing where the package is going. The selection needs to be on the checkout page.

"Also, reinstall the USPS realtime lookup... what I would need to do is open the confirm page and in the server behaviors panel select the plus button and select eCart -> Shipping -> add the US Postal Service rate lookup?"

Yes, that is correct

johna1964

Okay - that makes sense...

I will give this a try then.

I will probably have more questions later :)

Thank you!

johna1964

nokkapok441461

Shipping Flat Rate and UPS

Hi,
I'm having same issue.
I would like to set the shipping option to Flat Rate and UPS.

I added the select list in the check out page(right after shipping country in the same table.
I added hidden field in confirm page and added 'set session value (ShippingOption)

I also set triggers in shipping the Shopping cart object
Trigger for Flat Rate
If the value of the session varable 'ShippingObtion' is = a value of 'Flat Rate'
Calculation Flate rate = 10$

Trigger for UPS
If the value of the session varable 'ShippingObtion' is = a value of 'UPS'
Caculation Based on UPS shipping qoute vale

But the shipping cost doesn't show up in the confirm page.
I'm not sure if I missed any step.

Also is the eCart UPS Shipping supposed to be in server behavier for both check out and confirm page?

Please help. Thank you

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

eCart UPS Shipping Server Behavior should only be on the confirm page.

send copies of the checkout and confirm pages so i can examine the code, also screen shots of the Two shipping rules in the eCart object would be helpful

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...