close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Can an Admin Field be a link?

Thread began 5/07/2012 10:49 am by elewis93815 | Last modified 6/01/2012 9:39 am by Jason Byrnes | 2045 views | 9 replies |

elewis93815

Can an Admin Field be a link?

We have created an Admin area for our client to enter in new events for his theater. We would like one of the fields to be used to enter a link to a movie trailer. Is this possible?

Thank you,

Jackie

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the field in the database should be a standard varchar filed.

you can convert it to a link on the page that shows the information by adding the binding in the a tag, for example:

php:
<a href="<?php echo($row_recordsetName['ColumnName']); ?>"><?php echo($row_recordsetName['ColumnName']); ?></a>

elewis93815

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply. I am a little confused. I have the field on the "Insert" page of the Admin area to be a standard varchar as directed. From here is where I am unsure of what to do next. When an event is entered into the insert page and I paste in a movie trailer url, it does not show the url in the results or details page, it is just blank. I understand that on the page that this information will show I should bind that field to the page, however, I'm not understanding how to get the link into the database via the Admin "insert" page. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jackie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You should have a column in the database for the link text and a form field on the Insert page to enter the link.

you then need to edit the insert record behavior and bind the column in the database to the form element on the page.

then on the page that shows the link, you can add the column binding inside the a tag:

php:
<a href="<?php echo($row_recordsetName['ColumnName']); ?>"><?php echo($row_recordsetName['ColumnName']); ?></a>

if you continue to have problems, send a copy of the pages.

elewis93815

Thanks Jason,

Still unsure of the direction. I'm getting stuck on the insert record behavior and exactly what to bind it to. I believe that I have added the column, made it a standard varchar, it shows on the insert page, however, how to get that field to be a link is troubling me.

I've attached the files. Please let me know if you need any other files to assist with this.

Thanks again,

Jackie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

no files attached.

how to get that field to be a link is troubling me.  

your getting ahead of yourself.

it is not a link going in to the database. on insert, it is only a web address:

http://www.mysite.com/page.php

it becomes a link when you get it out of the database and put it in the a tag:

php:

elewis93815

Sorry, here are the files.

The data entered into this form field will be a link to a movie trailer. When we bind this form field to the the tickets.php page, it should be able to show a link to the movie trailer that was entered into the 'insert' page. Is this possible?

Here is a link also to a screen shot of the database columns.

Attached Files
WA Pepitos Movie Trailer.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The data entered into this form field will be a link to a movie trailer.  

No, the data entered into the form filed should only be the path, the URL to the movie trailer.

it will get converted to a link on the tickets.php

In the form filed, you should enter only the URL needed to get to the movie trailer:

http://www.site.com/movietrallerpage.php

then it gets converted to a link by using this code on the tickets.php page:

php:
<a href="<?php echo $row_RSticketbooth['MOVIE_TRAILER']; ?>"><?php echo $row_RSticketbooth['MOVIE_TRAILER']; ?></a>

elewis93815

Hi Jason,

Where would I put the above code on the tickets.php page? Ultimately we would like the movie trailer to be show directly below the event description. I have attached the files, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files
WA_Trailer.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Ultimately we would like the movie trailer to be show directly below the event description.  

to show the link bellow the description, you would put the link code bellow the event description

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...