close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Unable to Set Group Related Rules

Thread began 5/07/2012 3:26 am by jonm145238 | Last modified 6/21/2012 8:10 am by Jason Byrnes | 1658 views | 5 replies |

jonm145238

Unable to Set Group Related Rules

I am really struggling to deal with Group related rules and the Access Groups Manager seems buggy.

Before I continue I need to disclose that I started with the standalone verions of SecurityAssist and have upgraded to Super Suite. Everything else seemed fine when I did this but I am having difficulty with this one feature.

My biggest concern is that I am not finding much in the way of documentation so I do not really even know what I am doing. I do have a group setup, and users in that group. Rules that I setup, specifying the criteria "In group" and then specifying the group do not seem to work.

I also need to ensure that the user is logged in, this alone works.

Any guidance will be helpful.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the archived documentation section of the security assist support page, there is a tutorial for user level authentication that talks about using the access groups manager. it was written for version 1, but the concept is the same.

The Access groups manager allows you to set a collection of values that can be used in an access rule.

For example, if I wanted to create a rule to allow access to Admin and Super admin users, I would need to create an access group containing the user level values for the admin and supper admin.

One common problem with the access groups manager is that it is possible to add an empty value to the group, make sure that the group you create does not contain an empty value.

the access groups manager needs to be used in conjunction with the security assist Authenticate user behavior on the login page.

open the login page and double click the Authenticate user behavior to edit it, on the session variables tab, you will need to click the plus button and select the Access level column so that it is stored in a session at log in.

In the access rules manager, you will use this session when creating the access rule:

Allow If:
For the value, click the lightning bolt icon and select the access level session

set the criteria to In Group

then select the group you wish to use

johna1964

Hi Jason,

This is the step I am having difficulty with

"open the login page and double click the Authenticate user behavior to edit it, on the session variables tab, you will need to click the plus button and select the Access level column so that it is stored in a session at log in."

What is the value I should apply after clicking the lightening bolt - the closest one that made sense is:

<?php echo $_SESSION['SecurityAssist_UserID']; ?>

Is this correct?

Thank you!

johna1964

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

On the Session tab there is no lightning bolt icon.

On the Session tab, there is only a plus button that allows you to select the user level column, and a text field that allows you to change the name the session variable if you don't want to use the default name.

johna1964

Hi Jason,

I think I figured it out - you don't do anything with the database tab...

Thank you for your help!

johna1964

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

no, you don't need to do anything on the database tab, only on the Session tab. Leave the database tab unchanged.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...