close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How to produce just a registration page.

Thread began 5/02/2012 7:12 pm by h150477 | Last modified 5/04/2012 9:37 am by h150477 | 983 views | 4 replies |

h150477

How to produce just a registration page.

The wizard produces all the pages at one go. If you try to run it again to correct an error on one page, it ruins all the other pages by writing two sets of code on the pages which duplicates the forms. Which is a pain if you have done any modifications to them.

Possible workaround?
1. Rename the pages that you wish to save.
2. Run the wizard again.
3. Delete the new pages that you do not need.
4. Revert back to the original names.
5. Relocate the files to a suitable location.

Has anyone found a way to tell SA where to store its files other than in the root directory of the site?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

in the security assist wizard (Webassist -> Security Assist -> Create Security Pages, go to the Manage Pages tab.

in the listing of pages to create, select the pages you don't want to create and click the trash Can (Delete) icon.

to foce security assist to create the pages in another directory, add the path to the name of the page. for example select the registration page, the file name will be set to:
registration.php

you can add he path in front of that where the page should be created:
my/path/registration.php

h150477

The trash can on the manage pages screen is always greyed out .

I can create any combination of login page and every other page, but the login page is always produced, so the solution seems to be to create the final logon page last.
To solve the problem, I created 4 different presets, all with login and one other file, and another with just the login page.

As to creating pages in another directory that only works if you type the path into the Page Location field, but when you save the preset, next time you run it it changes the path to Root relative instead of page relative. It works it out wrongly and posts the pages in the htdocs folder instead of the site folder.
Consequently the pages cannot find the server resulting in many error messages and lots of head scratching before I did a search to find the files.

The browse for file does not work in my windows 7 64 bit system. It finds the folder and then says "no items match your search. " Which is quite logical as the file does not exist! If you type the file name into the browser it then advises that the file should be saved first, but it does create a tempoary path and saves the file in the correct location.

So its still a problem if you need to recreate the files.
And tricky to get them into the correct directory.

h150477

screen shot showing the what pages screen, showing the greyed out trash can and the file location anomoly

h150477

After lots of thought I got the registration page to work - it only took me about 6 weeks on and off. It needs a higher degree of logic and more careful study of the notes and instructions than I had been using.

The main problem was that in the past when inserting records into a database, I had always had the user_id (or index to the table) on the form as a hidden field, or the DW server behaviour did not work. Only after seeing a brief note about not using key fields in registration pages somewhere in the help did it finally click.

So this post is not really needed - but I have learned a lot from posting it and receiving Jason's answers.

Thanks a lot Jason.

Now I have to test the user update and lost password forms.
I'll probably be back.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...