close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Credit Card info storage

Thread began 5/02/2012 5:21 pm by Peterson Design Studio - jefferis | Last modified 5/03/2012 7:29 am by Peterson Design Studio - jefferis | 848 views | 2 replies |

Peterson Design Studio - jefferis

Credit Card info storage

I want to make sure if we use eCart for Paypal or authorize net transactions, we are not storing the credit card info on our servers. I just read this and it freaked me out:
unless you are using a program that encrypts the numbers, youre not PCI compliant. as of 2007 PCI compliance is not a request, or suggestion, it is now a requirement. if someone gets into your database, there are fines of up to $500,000 for EACH number breached. along with losing the ability to process cards at all

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The default presets used by eCart will not store Credit card details in the database or transfer the credit card number through email.

At the end of the day though, the flexibility of eCart will not prevent you as the developer from making modifications to the system that would store the information.

your question:

I want to make sure if we use eCart for Paypal or authorize net transactions, we are not storing the credit card info on our servers.  

can really only be answered by you.

eCart wont store the credit card details unless you configure it to.

eCart uses 2 behaviors for storing order information, they are both added to the confirm page:
eCart Store Order Summary to database
eCart Store order Details to database

the eCart wizard will give you the option of using a preset for creating the orders and order details table or you can use your own.

The presets used by eCart will not have a column in the orders table for the credit card number or other specific credit card details. so the presets are not designed to store that info.

if you are not using a preset, though, it is quite possible to configure eCart in a non PCI compliant manner. I very strongly don't recommend it, but that doesn't mean it cant be done.

I have had people ask here in the forums before how they can store the credit card info, or send it in the receipt, i have always responded to tell them that it's a bad idea, and illegal.

Peterson Design Studio - jefferis

Thanks Jason for the clarifications!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...