close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DataAssist Pages Wizard Fails

Thread began 5/02/2012 4:15 pm by neo314 | Last modified 5/06/2012 7:46 pm by neo314 | 2198 views | 13 replies |

neo314

DataAssist Pages Wizard Fails

I just tried using the DataAssist Pages Wizard for the first time and it choked. I was managing blog posts from my own database structure. I was creating a results page which I called index.php with search, insert, and update pages. I changed the names of those pages only by removing blog_ from the name so they would have been posts_insert.php, posts_update.php, etc. Some validation was used.

The wizard produced the following error while creating the pages.

Then it hangs before creating the search page.

In the end, index remains an empty page, post and insert have syntax errors, and the search page is not created at all.

The syntax errors are marked as being here:

<script type="text/javascript">

[snip jQuery code]

var title_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("title_Spry", "none", { maxChars:255 , validateOn:["blur"]});
var description_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextarea("description_Spry", { maxChars:300, isRequired:true , validateOn:["blur"]});
var pubDate_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("pubDate_Spry", "date",{ format:'mm/dd/yyyy' , validateOn:["blur"]});
var tags_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("tags_Spry", "none", { maxChars:255, isRequired:false , validateOn:["blur"]});
var allowComment_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationSelect("allowComment_Spry", { 'null', validateOn:["change"]});
var closeComment_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationSelect("closeComment_Spry", { 'null', validateOn:["change"]});</script></body>
</htm>
<?php
mysql_free_result($WADAblog_posts);
<?php
mysql_free_result($WADAallowComment);
<?php
mysql_free_result($WADAcloseComment);
?>?>?>l>

The problems at the bottom are fairly obvious.

-------------------------------------

NOTE: I got it to sort of work by doing two things.

I removed most of the validation which I do not think matters except that whatever problem it had with the one spry statement is gone. I think the spry stuff is really disappointing and I'll be replacing it with a jQuery anyway.

I did not have the index.php page already created when I ran the wizard.

I think one problem is that it is having a hard time replacing a page which is already created and open in DW. The old wizard did not have the same level of problem. I also think part of the end of page PHP issues have to do with referencing more than one table in the form (in my case lookup tables for select menus).

This last piece begs a question that has always bugged me. Why do I have to have a page open to use the wizard? It creates pages anyway. Just let me specify a directory and create it if it does not exist, and generate the pages.

Sign in to reply to this post

neo314

Whoops. another glitch. It placed these includes and the code for the function GetSQLValueString below the recordsets that were generated.

<?php require_once('../../Connections/blog.php'); ?>
<?php require_once("../../webassist/database_management/wa_appbuilder_php.php"); ?>
<?php require_once("../../webassist/database_management/wada_search.php"); ?>

I have two fields that are validated using a boolean lookup table, and I got this error after correcting the code above:

Not unique table/alias: 'lu_bool'  

The query it has a hard time with is:

"SELECT id, title, pubDate, label, label FROM blog_posts LEFT JOIN lu_bool ON lu_bool.val = blog_posts.allowComment LEFT JOIN lu_bool ON lu_bool.val = blog_posts.closeComment ORDER BY pubDate DESC";

It needed to be:

"SELECT id, title, pubDate, lu_bool.label, lu_bool2.label FROM blog_posts LEFT JOIN lu_bool ON lu_bool.val = blog_posts.allowComment LEFT JOIN lu_bool AS lu_bool2 ON lu_bool2.val = blog_posts.closeComment ORDER BY pubDate DESC";

The buttons also came out odd:

That is all I found so far, but it feels a bit not ready for prime time yet. It is heading in the right direction though, but $149 was a bit high as an upgrade for the state of things I think as well. Just my $0.02 worth.

neo314

• There is also no cancel button on the insert or update pages to get back to the results page,
  • The cursor does not change to pointer on the image buttons, and
  • I am not sure if there is any way to do this, but it would be helpful if there was a way to set the HTML editor settings in the wizard.

I solved the button appearance issue from the previous reply by adding:

form.Sharp_Default input.formButton {
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: center center;
cursor:pointer;
}

To the css

neo314

I also included a search form on my results page and I got these attributes:

For the Search Form

<form class="Sharp_Default" id="_Sharp_Default" name="_Sharp_Default" method="get" action="index.php">

For the Results Form

<form class="DetailsPage Sharp_Default" id="_Sharp_Default" name="_Sharp_Default" method="post" action="<?php echo (htmlentities($_SERVER["PHP_SELF"], ENT_QUOTES)); ?>">

Note the ID's are the same (serious problem) and they start with _ which makes me think something got left off.

I think it would be nice to return to simple names/ids like SearchForm and ResultsForm. There is no need to append the class or template to those values and it would make it easier to create custom code for the forms regardless of the design chosen.

While on the subject, how about making the Insert and Update form names the same like EditForm. A lot of times I use the same JS code on both pages and if I reference the form it would be nice if the name were the same. They don't appear on the same page ever.

I got the same on the insert and update pages though they are the only forms on the page, so it is not as critical.

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" class="Sharp_Default" id="_Sharp_Default" name="_Sharp_Default" method="post" action="<?php echo(htmlentities($_SERVER["PHP_SELF"], ENT_QUOTES)."?".$_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"]); ?>">

neo314

What is ProgressWrapper, and why do I need it? Shouldn't it be something like SearchWrapper, ResultsWrapper, UpdateWrapper?

I am trying to figure out if this is how it should be or if there are some things the wizard was supposed to replace and failed to replace.

neo314

I do now see the _Sharp_Default_ProgressMessageWrapper and ran into the same issue on the index page where duplicate elements of this were included in the page, so some of this is likely connected to an error when the pages are generated for including the search form on the results page.

neo314

Starting to get frustrated. A lot of these problems went away by

1. Using checkboxes instead of menus since they were boolean values and I had two fields using the same lookup table which was causing the wizard issues. That should be fixed though. I think I would have found more problems when I looked at the code.
  2. Not including the search form on the results page.

BUT, the joins from having previously used the menu/lookup table for those fields was still spit out in the recordset and in the results table, so it cached that somewhere and failed to update when the lookup tables were removed from the equation.

It would also be nice if one could use a purely manual (non-database) menu. In other words, all static options.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I see a couple of bugs here.

We will look into these issues you have reported immediately and try to get them corrected in the next update we are shooting to have out early next week.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

neo314

Thanks Ray. I think it is more than a couple. I know it is a lot of work.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The first issue I believe is due to having a page open that you are editing. I think I can probably add code to detect that case and account for it.

Appending the table name to the joins shouldn't take very long either, so we can make sure to get that done.

Adding code to center and not repeat the buttons will be no problem.

We'll be able to update the form IDs to be unique. We never use the names to refer to the forms in the .css so it is just a matter of adding a unique name.

We'll have to try using multiple select lists joined from the same table. I'm still not sure what issues that causes, but we can look into it.

And we can add code to either clear out the join data when the field type is changed or add code to ignore it when the field type isn't a list or menu.

We appreciate the feedback and bug reports. We will work hard to get them fixed as quickly as possible.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...