close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Separate shipping prices for quantity of products help.

Thread began 4/20/2012 1:46 am by flyingmoose99438112 | Last modified 12/04/2013 6:23 am by Jason Byrnes | 7948 views | 48 replies |

flyingmoose99438112

Separate shipping prices for quantity of products help.

Hi,
My business is selling cloth nappies. Basically what I want to do is make 3 separate shipping calculations, depending on the amount of nappies purchased by a buyer.
If 1 to 3 nappies are brought then shipping = $7.20
if 4 to 19 nappies are brought the shipping = $11.40
if 20+ nappies are brought then the shipping = $14.50.
I have tried several times both in the checkout wizard and my cart under the shipping tab.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you need 3 separate shipping rules:

up to 3 nappies:
triggers:
Subtotal for any column;
if the subtotal of column 'quantity' is '>' a value of '0'

AND
Subtotal for any column;
if the subtotal of column 'quantity' is '<=' a value of '3'

Calculation:
Flat rate charge of '7.20'

4 to 19 nappies:
triggers:
Subtotal for any column;
if the subtotal of column 'quantity' is '>=' a value of '4'

AND
Subtotal for any column;
if the subtotal of column 'quantity' is '<=' a value of '19'

Calculation:
Flat rate charge of '11.40'

20 + nappies:
triggers:
Subtotal for any column;
if the subtotal of column 'quantity' is '>=' a value of '20'

Calculation:
Flat rate charge of '14.50'

flyingmoose99438112

Thanks Jason,
That worked a treat! I just have a final question... I am selling a pack of 10 nappies and a pack of 5 nappies. I need to add an input form where the customer can specify which styles they would like when they buy these packs. I would like to link it to the "add to shopping cart button" so this information can also be seen in the shopping cart once they enter their style choices and submit it...
Thanks in advance :)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the style would be a product option.

in the eCart object, create a new style column.

in the add to cart button behavior, select the style column and set it to be updatable from a select list.

in the select list that is added to the page, you can add the styles they can choose from.

see the "Product Options with eCart" tutorial on the eCart support page for more details:
ecart/

flyingmoose99438112

Thanks again Jason,
However for each nappy pack there will be 5+ options for the product which all need to be added together and sent to the shopping cart together with the quantity of the product which is fine, However adding each style 5+ times is too time consuming for the customer as I want them to checkout as quick as possible.

All I would like is an input form for the customer to enter the styles themselves and not pick off a list. It can either be with the product when they use the add to cart button or if its easier it can be an input form in the checkout.

This website has the exact example in their checkout after you select a "Reusable Nappy Pack" www.babaandboo.com. At the end of the checkout there is a "Nappy Details" input form and before submitting their order the customer can enter their color choices. I'm happy if my site also copies this, i'm just unsure how to do it.

Thanks for taking the time mate I appreciate it ...

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

so instead of setting the option column to be updateable from a select list, set it to be updateable from a text box, this will allow the customer to type in the option value.

flyingmoose99438112

Hi Jason,
Awesome idea.
I have added a style column in my eCart object.

I have also added in the add to cart button a binding of the style column to be updateable as text field.

The final problem I have is that I can not get this information entered into this field by the user to send to the Shoppingcart or checkout. Am I missing something?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you will need to add this to the cart display. open the bindings panel, and add the binding for the new style column from the cart collection to the cart display.

flyingmoose99438112

Ok, Jason once again your instructions are spot on! I followed what you said and I also re-did my checkout so that the style would show up at the checkout also. I have two more questions born out of the previous ones, but these should be the last 2...

1. Now that I have added nappy packs to my site, I would like to calculate shipping for them. At the moment when I add a nappy pack (5 nappies) to the shopping cart, the shipping calculates it as 1 item and only charges shipping accordingly. I need to change that so if the 5 pack is added to the shopping cart then 5 nappies are added to the shipping cost also.

2. My styles data for the nappy packs now is visible all the way up to the checkout, however once the order is sent to paypal, that information is once again missing. This means when a transaction is processed and paid for, I do not get the style information from the customer. How can I get this information? I need it to send the customers the correct combination of nappies...

Thanks for putting up with me...
-Dan

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) this will require redoing your shipping rules completely. In the cart object, create a new column called "realQuantity" for single items, set this column to 1, for the five pack set it to 5.

on the calculations tab create a new calculation called "trueQuantity" as:
[realQuantity] * [Quantity]

in the shipping rules, change the Subtotal for any column; trigger to use the trueQuantity column instead of the Quantity Column.

2) What paypal system are you using? you need to edit the code that passes the name of the item to include the style, this will be different for paypay standard which uses a hidden form element near the bottom of the confirm page to pass the item details, or paypal pro which uses PHP code near the top of the page to pass the info.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...