close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Getting spammed with bots even with captcha

Thread began 3/19/2012 8:08 am by christie367953 | Last modified 11/18/2013 8:38 am by Jason Byrnes | 5640 views | 18 replies |

christie367953

Getting spammed with bots even with captcha

Hi there:
I have a client who is really bugging me about all the spam he's getting on his form. I have used the captcha - and I validated as many fields as possible to try to stop this, and it's still happening - several a day - sometimes even several an hour. The latest one is clearly a bot - even though as I said I have captcha. Help me please before this client shoots me.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

are you also using Honey Pots validation?

this is where you add a hidden form field to the page and validate that it is empty.

add 1 or 2 hidden form elements to the page, then edit the server validations server behavior. set the validation type to Regular Expression, click the lightning bolt next to the server variable and select the hidden element.

set the regular expression to:
/^$/i

and set it to allow blank entry.

Most bots will fill in all form elements regardless of whether they are hidden or not.

christie367953

little more guidance please

Hi Jason:
Never heard of honey pots, so no.
To insert a hidden field, I just do a form, insert hidden field? All I see when I do that is a little symbol - I don't get an actual field. Is this correct?
Sorry to be ignorant, but I didn't know of this.
Thanks,
Christie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, all you will see is a symbol in design view, it is a hidden field, so you wont see anything else.

christie367953

thanks

Thank you Jason
Christie

christie367953

still having problems

Hi Jason:
I am still having problems.
I can actually submit the form without filling out anything - including the captcha.
How do I stop that?
How do I block certain characters?
Christie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

please send a copy of your page.

christie367953

copy of page

here you go.

Attached Files
index.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

there are a couple of problems:

1) the action of the form is to post to the /HDWForm2Mail/Form2Mail.php file.

forms 101:
All form processing must occur on the forms action page.

this means that the server validation behavior must be added to the /HDWForm2Mail/Form2Mail.php file.

open that file, go to the binding panel. Click the plus button, select Form Data, click the folder icon and select the form page.

now go to the server behaviors panel and add the Server Validation Server behavior.

2) You have a server validation behavior for each form element, you only need one server validation behavior that is configured to validate all of the form elements.

christie367953

not sure

HI Jason:
I am sorry - I am now thoroughly confused. I was validating as much as I could to stop these frickin' spammers.
I get to put the security code validation on the form2mail form, (not what the tutorials say, by the way) but how do I validate the entire form?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...