close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

File Permissions problem on Install

Thread began 3/09/2012 11:30 am by lr_leal239405 | Last modified 7/23/2012 11:57 am by Jason Byrnes | 2645 views | 7 replies |

lr_leal239405

File Permissions problem on Install

When trying to run the install for PowerCMS I'm getting:

File Permissions

Files and directories cannot be created. Verify the PowerCMS directory has write permissions on your server.

Files cannot be created in the PowerCMS/Connections directory. Please ensure that directory has write permissions on your server.

The hosting co. is telling me I have full permissions. This is being installed on a Windows server so they're asking me to find out if it's compatible. Also, I noticed there is no directory called PowerCMS/Connections. There is a Connections folder in which the PowerCMSConnection.php file was placed in. I'm assuming that's the folder that needs the permissions but hosting co. already confirmed that. What else can I do?

thank you.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the error is saying that folder that contains the power cms files does not have write access. that would be the folder the contains the power CMS install folder.

if you access the install using the url:

index.php

the folder that needs to have full access is the /pcms/ folder.

the connection folder gets created by the install script, it wont exist until you have completed the install.

lr_leal239405

There is no folder called pcms or PowerCMS anywhere plus according to hosting co. the folders install_cms and cms which were created by the software have full permissions. But stilll won't run. It is on a Windows server. Could that have anything to do with it?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

i wasn't necessarily saying there would be a folder called cms. i was trying to give an example of a possible path to help you find the correct folder.

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

lr_leal239405

the web user permissions was the problem. I was able to install it. Thanks for your help.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

great, glad to hear it is working.

marketing331920

Permissions Installation Wizzard

I have the following error on the installation wizard.

" File Permissions
Files and directories cannot be created. Verify the ../ directory has write permissions on your server."

Thus I have two very important questions:

1. Exactly which folder or folders need to the 777 permissions?
2. Is there a securty breach that we should be aware of and if so how do we protect the data from such a breach.

I am new to using the SuperSuite products so I ask kindly, speak in "tiny" laymens terms.

I do appreciate your products and I am reading Dummy books and others to try to come up to speed.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1. the folder that contains the CMS Files needs to have write permissions to complete the install,

specifically, that would be the folder that contains the install_cms folder on your site.

2. to prevent any security breach, once the install has completed, the permissions to that folder can be set back to the original.

after the install is completed, install the images_upload folder will need to have write permissions.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...