close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Updating PowerStore 4.5.0 to 4.5.1 'temp_editing' folder Permissions Problem.

Thread began 3/05/2012 8:59 am by neilo | Last modified 3/05/2012 10:13 am by neilo | 974 views | 2 replies |

neilo

Updating PowerStore 4.5.0 to 4.5.1 'temp_editing' folder Permissions Problem.

I turned down a job to build an online store for a couple of clients (am still in cardiac rehab following two heart attacks and possibly retired) but I said if they bought Powerstore from you, I would help with initial set up. They bought 4.5.0 a few days before you released 4.5.1, and that installed fine. They then got email to say 4.5.1 was released, and asked me to do the updating as they didn't understand any of the processes.

Following the Updating 450 to 451instructions (despite nonsensical steps 6 & 7) seemed to go okay, except that editing the design via the store manager constantly failed due to permissions problems for the folder/sub-folders/files 'temp_editing' that is created when an edit is being made. After initial edit/selection/save/cancel, the permissions were being set to 666. This seemed to be preventing further access to store-manager editing.

I returned their site to version 4.5.0 (backed up) and repeated the whole process on my own test domain (4.5.0 then update to 4.5.1) with the same results.

Error messages were as recorded here: Error messages

The only way (I could find) round this was to change the permission values in the wa_settings table in the store database (column/ID 92: File Permissions) from 0666 to 0755 which seems to solve the immediate problem.

Is this unique to these two instances - (don't see anyone else presenting with the same problem)? Is my solution enough, or might there be unforseen problems with it? Am trying to chill as per consultant's advice, and despite being made a non-smoker since Nov 7th last.

My would-be clients were also disgruntled to receive another email to say that the price had dropped a hundred dollars since the few days ago when they purchased it. Can I advise them that sales might be amenable to a partial refund as they were within a few days of the price drop?

Big hello to Jason and Ray.

Nicely chilled and kindly regards,

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems.

Any time something goes on sale within 15 days of a purchase, we will refund the difference... just contact sales@webassist.com and tell them the circumstances.

The new version of powerstore added those permission settings to the wa_settings table to help with this issue and make it easier to correct. It is also supposed to try to automatically detect and set the permissions settings, but it appears that part didn't work on your server.

Yes, updating the permissions settings in the wa_settings table is the correct work around and should resolve the issue in 4.5.1

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

neilo

Thanks Ray.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...